Switch H/W modifications?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
Earlier this week I hacked an internal power supply and fan into a Mikrotik CRS326 that I've been using to evaluate RouterOS/SwOS and I was wondering if something like that was of interest to this group, and in keeping with the STH policies? I ask because it does involve monkeying around with stuff that you plug into the wall so there is some non-trivial risk involved if you don't know what you are doing.

Reactions: Patrick

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I know some people here have modified power supplies and stuff like that (see the c8220 thread).
It's defintely interesting to read, but not something I would try :D

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@pcmoore - I would love to see this. I am going to ask that if you do post something like this you make a bold disclaimer saying that there are risks and such. That way in three months when someone finds the thread via search, they know that there are risks in replication.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
The question is why did you do it/what was the benefit?;)
There were two motivations: an irrational hatred of external power supplies (wall warts), and a desire to mitigate some of the additional heat generated by a S+RJ10. While I've somewhat given up on the CRS326 due to software issues, the internal power supply and fan modification did appear to be a success: the switch showed no sign of instability due to power, and the reported temperatures had dropped ~20C.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
@pcmoore - I would love to see this. I am going to ask that if you do post something like this you make a bold disclaimer saying that there are risks and such. That way in three months when someone finds the thread via search, they know that there are risks in replication.
Understood, thanks. I'm a bit swamped at the moment but I will try to write something up.