Switch for S2D

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Technrd

Feb 25, 2021
Hi

I am looking at a cheap mellanox MSX6036F-1SFS(not the Dell one) that I want to use in my lab setup for Storage spaces direct.

Are there anything I should be aware about?

As far as I have been able to find the Ethernet license should be free when using the last Firmware.

I will be using mcx312a-xcbt as the adapter

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
As far as I have been able to find the Ethernet license should be free when using the last Firmware.
The ethernet/gateway licenses are not free. (I'm not sure where this rumor comes from, but I have seen it here in the forums too).

There are ways to reverse engineer/generate the licenses. You could look in some of the mellanox switch threads on sth and search for the keyword "ltrace".
Are there anything I should be aware about?
The 6036 is loud. Even when the fans go from full speed (23k rpm?) to "normal" speed (I think it was 11k rpm) it's still very loud.
Another thing is the size: thbe switch is pretty deep compared to other 40GBE switches.

Technrd

Feb 25, 2021
The ethernet/gateway licenses are not free. (I'm not sure where this rumor comes from, but I have seen it here in the forums too).

There are ways to reverse engineer/generate the licenses. You could look in some of the mellanox switch threads on sth and search for the keyword "ltrace".

The 6036 is loud. Even when the fans go from full speed (23k rpm?) to "normal" speed (I think it was 11k rpm) it's still very loud.
Another thing is the size: thbe switch is pretty deep compared to other 40GBE switches.

I don't think I need the Ethernet license for S2D so I might just skip that unless I'm forced to use it for the ROCE protocol.

And if I need the license I will look into generating it with ltrace

Regarding the noise, its going to be mounted with 4 HP DL360 G8's and a DL380 G8 so I don't think the noise is going to be a issue.

Even thou have anyone ever replaced them with low noise alternatives?