EXPIRED Swissbit M.2 SATA possible good deal ? 240GB 4 units $128

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
Was looking for a decent boot M.2 SATA and found some Swissbit (made in Germany!) on eBay. I found some 480GB units but posting about other 240GB units by same seller. Lists as MLC and touts high endurance and lots of industrial sounding specs. Probably a good deal for a durable boot drive that are apparently new pulls.

I have zero experience with Swissbit but the specs seem pretty great. Anyone know about these?

ebay auction number 203524585738

Datasheet from Mouser (where they are listed at $242 each!):
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/615/X-60m2_2280_fact_sheet-1628621.pdf

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: tinfoil3d and Samir

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
I work for a network equipment company and our customers expect 10+ years of service life. We use Swissbit SSDs because of their excellent write endurance

Reactions: tinfoil3d and Samir

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
swissbit is rare to come by outside vendors like mouser/digikey/etc and generally they expect no resale.
and to be fair, AFAICT they are assembling and maybe writing firmware for it but the flash chips are not their own, same goes for USB controllers at least, that's from hyperstone in one model that i had a chance to look at. not that i'm saying its bad or anything, absolutely not, just highlighting the fact that swissbit does not produce the flash chips for their products. you can clearly see it in https://www.mouser.jp/datasheet/2/615/Swissbit_Partnumber_Decoder_2019-2321214.pdf

Last edited:

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
there's also Delkin Devices who also manufacture industrial grade SLC/MLC/ storage for those who's looking for that kind of endurance, and they use practically the same components for a more humble price tag

Reactions: AlphaG

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
swissbit is rare to come by outside vendors like mouser/digikey/etc and generally they expect no resale.
and to be fair, AFAICT they are assembling and maybe writing firmware for it but the flash chips are not their own, same goes for USB controllers at least, that's from hyperstone in one model that i had a chance to look at. not that i'm saying its bad or anything, absolutely not, just highlighting the fact that swissbit does not produce the flash chips for their products. you can clearly see it in https://www.mouser.jp/datasheet/2/615/Swissbit_Partnumber_Decoder_2019-2321214.pdf
Neither the flash nor the controller is theirs but the firmware is and they have a deep understanding of the characteristics of flash and of SATA/NVMe interfaces that they bring to their products unlike some other vendors.

They've been able to help us resolve some very tricky edge case failure modes.

Reactions: tinfoil3d

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
They've been able to help us resolve some very tricky edge case failure modes.
That's great to hear, money well spent, and the company stands by its products, that is also something rare to come by these days.
But hey, let's all remember this wonderful word: "backups"