Swapping CPU's in Linux - Ubuntu, RHEL, CentOS - anything to worry?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I have a bunch of servers that we are going to swap from Core i3's to Xeon E3's. We did a test swap and RHEL booted without issue. We are getting more cores so it isn't an issue where the current applications are going to have fewer resources.

Here's my question: is there anything I need to worry about in Ubuntu, RHEL or CentOS? I know swapping boot drives from one chassis to the next never works easy because of changing NIC MAC addresses. What about CPUs? I wouldn't think there's anything to worry about but wanted to see if anyone here found an issue.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Nope, no issues. I imagine some self spun distros might have issues if you switched generations... but the main ones should be fine.

Reactions: OBasel

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I also think you can move V1 -> V2 with the mainline distros and be fine. I do this all the time. The main thing is that you are not taking away features/ resources just adding.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
If you compiled anything that optimized with custom flags, that could pose a problem, but probably not, as the e3 feature set probably includes everything your i3's had.

The only other problem I can think of is running into CPU errata with your workload.

Both of these are fringe cases.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have a bunch of servers that we are going to swap from Core i3's to Xeon E3's. We did a test swap and RHEL booted without issue. We are getting more cores so it isn't an issue where the current applications are going to have fewer resources.

Here's my question: is there anything I need to worry about in Ubuntu, RHEL or CentOS? I know swapping boot drives from one chassis to the next never works easy because of changing NIC MAC addresses. What about CPUs? I wouldn't think there's anything to worry about but wanted to see if anyone here found an issue.
What versions of those OS and which ones are giving you that trouble?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What versions of those OS and which ones are giving you that trouble?
I think he means you usually cannot just pull a disk from one server to another because you usually get different interface names and MAC addresses.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Gotcha!

fwiw; I've been swapping win7, linux mint, and some other distros on various SSDs between supermicro based systems with 0 problems.

Reactions: neo