SV843 SSD and disk activity light

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

strh

Mar 2, 2015
Evening all,

I have several SV843 SSD which I'm more than happy with and appear to be performing well. What's got me a little irritated though is not being able to figure out why the disk activity light is perma-on when these are installed. All other SSD, when installed in the same slots, blink their activity LEDs when IO occurs.

Anyone seen similar issues before?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Ah yes, overactive disk syndrome... It is very common in younger SSDs, they are just biting at the bit waiting for work to do. You should try talking to your server/workstation soothingly and see if that calms them down.

Yeah... I got nothing.

Reactions: andrewbedia

strh

Mar 2, 2015
For the record:

Chassis: CSE-M28SAB SAS/SATA Mobile Rack
Controller: LSI 2308 (onboard controller of the X10SL7-F).

I've also had the SSDs plugged directly into the controller of another MB (non LSI SATA contoller) with the same result.

I stress that everything appears to work fine but for some reason that one remaining issue has started to bug the hell out of me :)

Cheers
Simon

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
FWIW I have 2 of these MZ7WD960HMHP-00003, with fw DXV8C03Q and I don't see this. Attached to a 3ware 9750 thru an LSI SAS2X36 expander. I/O light is only on with activity.

Reactions: Patriot

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
FWIW I have 2 of these MZ7WD960HMHP-00003, with fw DXV8C03Q and I don't see this. Attached to a 3ware 9750 thru an LSI SAS2X36 expander. I/O light is only on with activity.
@strh might want to check the fw version of the drives.

strh

Mar 2, 2015
Hmm. I wasn't aware you could update the FW of these drives. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll go take a look.

@j_h_o Good to know they function correctly on other hardware. Thanks for that data point.

Cheers
Simon

azev

Jan 18, 2013
so I have the same problem with SAS SSD and supermicro 836 with sas2 backplane. For some reason though I was able to hot pull it out of the bay and plug it back in and suddenly it only lights up when there's activity.
Added a second ssd of the same type, and had same issue, but pulling it in and out didnt fix it for the 2nd SSD. I just learned to live with it, it still blinks when there's activity and steady light when there's none.

strh

Mar 2, 2015
All your SV843s are on same fw, and all exhibit the same problem?

What OS? I'm assuming no fw update for your controller?
All the same FW version.

OS versions have ranged from ESXi 5.5/Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2 and Linux. Firmware for the controller on the X10SL7-F is currently 19 (I have had it 16, same issue).