SuperMicro's PSU Compatibility Table is Missing! Oh no!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chad

Feb 12, 2016
Greetings,

I have something unfortunate to report: SuperMicro's power supply compatibility documentation has gone missing!

I learned of this recently, after receiving this email from SuperMicro:

Hi Chad,

Thank you for contacting Supermicro tech support.

Our power supplies work with the power distributors in the chassis. In general, we don’t provide pin layouts of the power supplies. We don’t encourage users to change models of the power supplies in the chassis. Unfortunately, currently we don’t have a list of power supplies and power distributors compatibility we can release to users.

Thank you.

This is certainly disturbing news. However, I believe that we, together, can rectify this situation! Surely a number of you own SuperMicro servers and PSUs. If we all write down the information from the PSUs we own, then we might just be able to create a new and wonderful power supply compatibility document for SuperMicro. We'll be helping!

To kick it off, I made a google spreadsheet with all of the basic information already entered and deduped. It is only missing a few important columns that describe the layouts of traces and pins on the interfaces between PSUs and the power distributor (or power backplane) that they plug into. I've done what I could and entered the information from the PSUs I own, as well as a couple rough guesses based on Ebay listings and a previous reddit post at /r/homelab. In short: I've tried to make it is easy as possible to contribute to the cause.

I beseech you, passionate enthusiasts: if you own SuperMicro PSUs, please record their backplane interface layouts in the new spreadsheet.

Together, we can create a beautiful future where SuperMicro can be confident that their PSUs are well-documented, and where no one will worry about buying an incorrect SuperMicro PSU.

Thank you all, and best of luck!

Chad

Feb 12, 2016
Hi MiniKnight,

I'm aware of the this table and the one you mentioned. Unfortunately, neither table tells us the pin or trace layout of the PSU<->Backplane interface, nor do they tell us which PSUs can replace which PSUs in any terms. This is why I'm hoping the community can crowdsource this kind of information: it's very useful for anyone who needs to buy a slightly different version of the PSU for their SuperMicro server (ex: to find a quieter one, or update older chassis).

See this reddit post for an example of what happens due to the missing data.

Thanks.

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
Hey, just had a chat with @sfbayzfs about this very thing (started it on Oct 10th last week). Says he is working on putting a guide together, when he gets time, but not a high priority. Your options are:
- 1) Dremel the end from the plastic connectors on the PDB
- 2) Dremel the PSU PCB to fit PDB connectors
- 3) Find the chassis with the power supply combo you desire and click the view parts near the bottom where you can then find a part number for the PDB.

Supermicro | Products | Chassis |4U | SC846BE2C-R1K28B -- uses 1x PDB-PT846-2824 Power Distribution Board having [two] 23-pairs[/-contact fingers] input connector and 2x PWS-1k28p-SQ PSUs.

@sfbayzfs "Unfortunately the layout of the PDBs is different in different chassis:
Short edges together:
  • SC846
  • SC745
Long edges together:
  • SC216
  • SC826
  • SC836
  • SC837
  • SC847
  • SC416
  • SC417"
and
"..the PDB-PT846-8824 is the standard one, and the PDB-PT846-2824 is the good high power one to get.

This PDB from a SC745 *might* work as well:
PDB-PT747-4648
Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 4U | SC745BTQ-R1K28B-SQ"

The high powered PDB is :eek: $200-$350 "new" on eBay. :confused:

(@Patrick if you got time, I think there are a few related posts now on the same subject.)

Chad

Feb 12, 2016
Hey, just had a chat with @sfbayzfs about this very thing (started it on Oct 10th last week). Says he is working on putting a guide together, when he gets time, but not a high priority. Your options are: [...]
Wow, thank you for the info!

That helps so much.

I'm tempted to dremel the connectors on the PDB now. Is it really confirmed that the subset of pins that would connect are actually electrically compatible? That would be great if they are. The thought of pins wandering and misaligning bugs me a little, but I suppose the cage is rigid enough that they won't be going anywhere. Hmmm, the standard PDB is so cheap that it might be worth trying anyways.

Chad

Feb 12, 2016
I can confirm the PDB connector dremeling solution! :)

My PDB model number is PDB-PT825-8824.

I am now using the PWS-1K28P-SQ power supply module, and it really is quiet. It is Noctua levels of quiet. To my ears, it is inaudible at 1m in a quiet basement. I can hear them if I put my ear right next to the PSUs. I didn't even expect it to go this well; I am very pleased with this.

The system came with PWS-501P-1R modules. These were much more noisy in general. In addition, I'm pretty sure one of them was having bearing issues as it would start to make a high-pitched squeal after about half an hour of operation. I'm very glad to be done with that!

Pics or it didn't happen, right?

This picture also reveals an earlier mod of mine: I removed the "magnetic transducer", which is the noise-making device that actives when one of the PSUs is absent (designated BER500 on the PCB, part no. OBO-1205D-A2). It was pretty awful in my case: the system would turn on after I plug in the first PSU, recognize the second as missing, and then cause a horrible racket up until I can plug in the second. Plugging in a machine should not create 80+ dB of noise :(

I like my modified PDB. <3

Thanks again, @pc-tecky!

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
Yeah, glad to help assist in solving your dilemma. I just shaved the ends off of the connectors with a cut-off wheel. Same idea, different angle of attack.

beren

Oct 25, 2018
I did this! It does work without letting out the magic smoke :) I'm waiting for a PDB-PT826 for the better wires and current support but the PWS-1K28P-SQ are amazingly quiet!

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
I just bought a PWS-501P-1R to replace my PWS-1K28P-SQ, but it looks like the connector on the new PWS-501P-1R is narrower

Are these interchangeable?

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Hi, can I replace PWS-2K04A-1R with a PWS-1K28P-SQ? I'm sure my machine won't use more than 1K power.
Would love to know the answer to this as well - I just had a PWZ-2K04A-1R die on me (no spare on hand), and happen to have a whole bunch of spare PWS-1K28P-SQ...

Reactions: wildpig1234