Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

craig24x

Nov 17, 2021
Using a Xigmatek PTR-N881 with a Nactua like nev_neo used. Ambient is 23c, idles at 37c, hits about 42c running 2 vm’s fairly active. CPU is the 4c/8t D-1520.

Basically silent considering stock case fans are louder.
580E864A-083A-4252-8817-72966C9E3115.jpegD0DE52EE-629B-4191-B93A-DDA12957386E.jpeg94B03025-93CC-423E-94FF-BB40128DD201.jpeg9A613FB0-0DDB-496E-B323-01875B1AF27B.jpeg

boxrick

Feb 20, 2022
I have just picked up one of these motherboards:

Any recommendations on a better cooler ideally with some Noctua fans? Thinking Xigmatek PTR-N881 like above, but not sure what would be best?

weingeist

Apr 3, 2017
Hi everyone, first post in the forum here :)

I've been running TrueNAS on a X10SDV-4c-TLN4F in a Node 304 with six disks for the past 5 years. I am one those, who stuck a 60mm Noctua with those rubber thingys on the stock heatsink. The temps, or rather the fan load always has been rather high: a perl script controlls the cpu temp to be 50C, which results in about 2800RPM of the fan with normal operation, so not a lot of margin.

In the near future, I will need to move my NAS to a much more enclosed location, and I am afraid that the temps will rise above 50, which is already quite high.

I first read this article on STH, and I would have instantly gone for the CoolJag BUF-E and reuse my Noctua, but I live in Europe, they are nowhere to be seen.

Then I found this thread, it has been gold in terms of inspiring of possible cooler builds. Especially the Noctua nh-d9l build (a bit pricy, and Aliexpress link not available anymore), or the Xigmatek PTR-N881 (availability?) look very interesting, but I am still struggling with the basics of a cpu cooler. The FCBGA 1667 is never listed in any compatibility lists, and I am wondering how CPU cooler compatibility work. I already learned, that SM uses some weird screws, which needs a replacement of the backplate. But are the hole distances always the same? Or are these backplates adjustable? Sorry for the really basic questions, but I never built a pc before my server, and with the server, I always kept using the stock cooler (I know, I know, stock thermal paste is shit, every forum tells you that ; ).

Right now, I am looking at the be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2, but I have no idea if it will fit. Is there a more common socket with an identical screw-hole layout, that I can use for assessing coolers? Or is there more to the story in terms of compatibility (ignoring coolers as large as the board xD)?

Thanks for any help and pointers in the right direction..

weingeist

Apr 3, 2017
Thanks @RolloZ170 , this pretty much settles it. I will go for the CoolJag, as there seems to be a lot of positive experience with it, and no hassle (or less) in fixing the damn thing.

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
I've been running TrueNAS on a X10SDV-4c-TLN4F in a Node 304 with six disks for the past 5 years. I am one those, who stuck a 60mm Noctua with those rubber thingys on the stock heatsink. The temps, or rather the fan load always has been rather high: a perl script controlls the cpu temp to be 50C, which results in about 2800RPM of the fan with normal operation, so not a lot of margin.

In the near future, I will need to move my NAS to a much more enclosed location, and I am afraid that the temps will rise above 50, which is already quite high.
50C isn't hot at all for a modern CPU. Intel recommends a maximum of 80C for these CPUs and I wouldn't worry about running them at that temperature for a decade if necessary.

That said, the BUF-E is a beast of a heatsink for these CPUs. Even the lower profile copper BUF-A (with your own 4-pin PWM fan) works quite well in my experience.

CHANABRA

Dec 26, 2021
Buf-E really is a beast. I have a ASRock D-1541, only because i sniped it off ebay for 220 including tax :).
I recently got a X10SDV-4C-TLN2F (i think that last part is right), and I am going to be making it a baremetal truenas server.
I am currently contemplating if I want another Cooljag Buf-E or maybe just an A?

btw, I live in LA, without central air system, it gets hot as ****, my temps are insanely low... I get low 30s with the D-1541 as a proxmox host, with multiple vms including truenas ( soon to g to it's 4 core 8 thread brother as a baremetal )

CHANABRA

Dec 26, 2021
I forgot to add, I currently use FrozenCPU Computer Case Cooling 80mm Directional Fan Duct - FrozenCPU.com this duct from frozen cpu with my Jag Everflow 80x32 chassis fans pulling air out and a 50x50x20 fan attached to the buf E pushing it all in......

1. Does anyone have a really good recommendation for the "best, most optimal" fan to use with the Cooljag Buf-E?
2. Don't ordfer the duct I lnked above, it's a POS. It came with holes in it I have to tape up. I am going to order the 80mm set from moddiy even though its much, much longer. Maybe I will be able to use for both my Xeon Ds

wxa

Oct 31, 2022
I've replaced the stock fan with the Noctua 60mm and my temps with around 20% of CPU usage are around 75deg. Probably I should enable some power management settings in the BIOS. I wanted to buy a CoolJag BUF-E but it's really hard to find in Europe. I've noticed that there is a cheaper and probably not so good alternative at aliexpress. It looks the correct size but I'm not sure if it will fit. Anyone has experience with one of those or if not are there any European distributors of CoolJag? I only found FrozenCPU but it's in the US.

Edit:
I think I found the company that probably manufactures the heatsinks for CoolJag but they probably don't sale to end clients anyway: hsmz.eu. They have some more options there like aluminium tall heatsink, etc which I've never seen being sold anywhere.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Anyone has experience with one of those or if not are there any European distributors of CoolJag? I only found FrozenCPU but it's in the US.
FrozenCPU shipping to EU

USPS Priority Mail International
$60.64​
UPS Worldwide Expedited
$183.33​
UPS Worldwide Express
$199.59​
UPS Worldwide Saver
$194.02​

there is a seller in EU but no stock for long time.

Ignat

Aug 12, 2023
What are the options today for X10SDV-4C-TLN2F, I'm struggling to find something that will work well. The Silent 5 still seems like its the best option ?

I need a SFF solution..