Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Brandon C

Mar 12, 2020
Just wanted to add a reply here, since there isn't much information about aftermarket cooling for the Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F. I managed to find a GPU Copper waterblock that with some slight modification fits PERFECTLY. I had to buy a pair of steel cutters for $15 at Lowe's and cut the corner off of the mounting bracket so it wouldn't get in the way of the onboard battery socket. I also had to cut the mounting screws shorter by about a half inch, so that they didn't contact the metal surface of the motherboard mounting tray and added non-conductive thermal tape on the backside for good measure. The screws are pointed inward ever so slightly and it was a tight fit for sure, but it all worked out extremely well. I am now sitting comfortably between 29c and 37c and the server doesn't seem to want to kick the fans into high gear as often.

Waterblock
Craftsman 8-inch Steel Cutting Pliers

Reactions: sth-n00b and maes

Brandon C

Mar 12, 2020
Just wanted to add a reply here, since there isn't much information about aftermarket cooling for the Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F. I managed to find a GPU Copper waterblock that with some slight modification fits PERFECTLY.
Just wanted to add another picture of the IPMI sensor readings.

computertemps.png

Remko

Oct 26, 2015
Netherlands
My temperatures are way to high in my 1U SuperChassis 505-203B with 3x fans in the back of the chassis. Even a D-1528 is on average 74 degrees celsius (165 Fahrenheit).
  1. Does the CoolJag BUF-B2 fit inside this SuperChassis 505-203B?
  2. If so, where can I buy them? I namely need 12 of them.
Located in Europe (The Netherlands). Importing is not a problem.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

scline

Apr 7, 2016
It should fit, as its a 1U cooler. In your setup do you have the passive or active heatsink Remko? I had the same chassis and to get temperatures more stable I needed to create a baffle for those fans on a passive heatsink. If you have some stiff plastic you can likely create the same to test temperatures before replacing the heatsink.

Reactions: sth and Remko

Remko

Oct 26, 2015
Netherlands
It should fit, as its a 1U cooler. In your setup do you have the passive or active heatsink Remko? I had the same chassis and to get temperatures more stable I needed to create a baffle for those fans on a passive heatsink. If you have some stiff plastic you can likely create the same to test temperatures before replacing the heatsink.

Passive. Just exactly as in your link/opening post. Nicely done: impressed!

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
4. to change the coolers was easy, undo 4 screws, remove back plate and install new cooler and backplate​
5. easily available at antares pro and frozencpu online retailers, then via shipito to Australia.​
Thanks to Patrick for the heads up on removing the original heat sink. Ran it for 20 minutes, removed mounting screws, and twisted, it did not come easily..... The heat sink backplane was harder to remove as it was stuck to the motherboard, it required a screw to be installed and move from mounting hole to mounting hole, and several taps to loosen it.
I was wondering if the change of backplate was mandatory or if it was possible to use the Cooljag cooler with the original SM backplate ?

Donald Thomas

Jan 8, 2018
Hi,I am new here.

I got a Supermicro X10SDV-F (d1540, itx with dual nic) 3 months ago. I replaced the cooler resently with silverstone NT06-PRO:
View attachment 4900
A huge Cooler (14cm x 14CM), however fit this mainboard amazingly.

I used a buckle bought from Internet (taobao.com in China):
View attachment 4901
Installing:
View attachment 4902

Almost done:
View attachment 4903

The case:
View attachment 4904
Case: Aopen S180 (an old itx model)
Fan: Sanyo Denki 9S1212P4L011.

It's quiet and cool, while maybe a little bit overkill I guess.
Great solution, do you have a direct link to the bracket you purchased? i want to try this on my motherboard.

Alexy

ma1
Nov 27, 2018
lucky you... i don't have such space for it inside the case (4 HDD)

Btw: what is the max operating temp for CPU? 80 Grad? my idle temp at the moment is about 50 Grad.

dsumike

Dec 7, 2015

Attachments

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
Hi,
I bought a BUF-E cooler. It has different kind of screw that the one from the original SM backplate. Instead of trying to change the backplate, I switch the screw.
To remove BUF-E's one it was just a question of pressing hard enough to have them pop out ot their hole. For the original SM cooler, I had to remove a metal circle and reattach it after installing the SM screws on the BUF-E.
It worked perfectly and the temperature difference are totally worth it (I use a Noctua 60mm fan).
S.

Reactions: pyr4m1d

ioan

Nov 2, 2016
I want to share my experience with replacing stock x10sdv-8c passive cooler with noctua nh-d9l. i've used waterblock mount from aliexpress:

you'll need one mount (i've bought mount for intel cpu, but i think mount for amd cpu will take less space - it are shorter than intel's).
idle temperature is near 26 celsius, and stress test temperature (with full load of all cpu cores) makes 56 celsius.
system is fully silent even on maximum load.

Attachments

vumda

Jul 1, 2021
Good afternoon
After reading this forum thread (and many others related to the same topic) I have compiled the options for my case.

My configuration is as follows:
Motherboard: Supermicro x10sdv-8c-tln4f
Microprocessor: Xeon D-1541 socket FCBGA 1667
Chassis: 1U SuperChassis 505-203B with 4 fans (model FAN-0100L4 40x28MM 4-PIN PWM Fan) on the back of the chassis.

The possible options that I have contemplated are the following:

OPTION A:
Model: Supermicro SNK-C0057A4L

Link: SNK-C0057A4L Supermicro Active CPU Heatsink with retention back plane assembled onboard

OPTION B:
Model: Cooljag BUF-A Socket PGA988

Link: Cooljag BUF-A Intel i7 / i5 / i3 Mobile Processor Active Heatsink - Socket PGA988 - FrozenCPU.com

OPTION C:
Model: BUF-B2

Link: BUF-B2Cooljag USA

OPTION D:
Model: Cooljag bbuf-a Active Cooler (Socket rbga 989, BGA1023, BGA1288 & bga1364)

Link: Amazon.com: Cooljag BBUF-A Active cooler for Intel Mobile(Socket rBGA 989, BGA1023, BGA1288 & BGA1364): Computers & Accessories

OPTION E:
Model: Supermicro SNK-C0054A4L

Link: Supermicro SNK-C0054A4L CPU cooler, SNK-C0054A4L - EET Europarts ES

OPTION F:
Model: BUF-A4

Link: BUF-A4Cooljag USA

OPTION G:
Model: Dynatron i2 g pga988

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...om-20&linkId=5a057d2f3a34f7695ddb681cc08cd6d9

I would like you to help me choose the best one for my case with your experience.

Thanks for everything.
I had Supermicro SNK-C0057A4L from another server and it seems the CPU temp is 10 degrees hotter than it was before, without the fan on heatsink. WTF?

Lemming

Jul 16, 2020
Hey all,

I just so happen to have both an X10SDV board and an M11SDV on the way, I'm looking into getting a custom made heatsink to suit both from a manufacturer in China.

Would any of you be interested in this?

If so, what sort of features would you be looking for in it?

My wish list atm is:

• More common fan size. (probably 60mm)
  • Compatible with Supermicro/Asrock standard mounts.
  • Free flowing for easier passive usage
  • Vapor chamber base. (definite wish, but they're not stupidly expensive)

Reactions: Aquatechie