Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
That's really cool.... I have permanent 47-49Grad with my BUF-E and cooler on it - as a working temperature. But my server is located in a small wardrobe where a little bit warmer than in the apartments... probably because of the server :)

I simple has no space for Noctua NH-C14S because I use Supermicro SuperChassis Cse-721tq-250b Mini-tower case with upgraded FAN system: Noctua slim FAN on HDDs block, Noctua FAN as a Chassis FAN and Noctua for CPU :)
Because it's located at wardrobe - it's quite silent :)
I was working with a 1U chassis but after found that the passive heatsink is not enough and that the height of the CPU coolers even from supermicro for the Xeon D 2100 and now with the EPYC 3000 don’t fit the 1U format, I decided to migrate to a mini-itx tower, in this case I manage to order a Ncase M1: NCASE, which allows to have a C14S in a very small form factor. I will share the details of the complete build as soon I finish the whole setup :)

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
I made the drawing using OmniGraffle and exported to Visio and JPEG just in case, I uploaded those files to:

M11SDV NOCTUA C14S - Google Drive

each box of the grid is of 1mm.
Some extra info:

upload_2019-12-24_8-12-42.png

not sure if this is very different from the original bracket measurements you had, one physical difference betwee the X11SDV and the M11SDV is that the Xeon D procesor has a heatspreader, and the EPYC 3000 it has the CPU Die exposed:

upload_2019-12-24_8-13-43.png
Thanks!

Slavearm

Apr 15, 2017
Some extra info:

View attachment 12587

not sure if this is very different from the original bracket measurements you had, one physical difference betwee the X11SDV and the M11SDV is that the Xeon D procesor has a heatspreader, and the EPYC 3000 it has the CPU Die exposed:

View attachment 12588
Thanks!

On the visio drawing, how long are those purple lines? I will spit this out today, but want to verify that, because everything else looks like it will fit.

Take care,

Shane

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
Amazing!, thank you very much, I don’t have a printer but I found a local provider that can print it with PLA and is not that expensive, after that I already identified some providers from the US that can print with PC and ship it here.

Again many thanks for the help, I also hope that other members could use it for their projects.

Merry Xmas.

Rolando.

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
so, the first test needs some adjustments, it may be because I'm using the C14S instead of the N12L, and well the differences in the socket.

Thanks for the Fusion 360 files, I'm still learning how to use it but so far managed to made some modifications to my next test. As the C14S is bigger and heavier I'm going to try another approach based on your design:

upload_2019-12-30_15-4-25.png

I have to wait after new years eve to send it to print in PLA for test and make sure it fits all ok, then I found a couple of local universities that also offer services for print in PC.

Regards!

Rolando

Slavearm

Apr 15, 2017
That looks alot like my first design, until I realized I couldn't get a screw to fit through with where the heatsink needed to sit in relation to the mounting holes. With the socket being wider the screws should get through. The other problem I had was being able to screw from the top. With the N12L it is way to low to get a screw driver in there. Even if I put the heatsink in a suboptimal location. Good luck. If you were local I would just print these up for you.

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
Yeah, I'm actually kinda limited here, I couldn't find the "DIN562 Thin Square M3 nuts" anywhere, I'm not sure about N12L, but the C14S came with these:

IMG_0169.jpg

And I found around my stuff that screws that I will cut to 15mm as I couldn't find the M3x10mm screws locally.

So in the end, I will still secure the CPU cooler from the back of the motherboard like this:

IMG_0170.jpg

Regards!

Last edited:

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
So after a couple of print tests I finally have a version which I'm happy with the results:

IMG_0188.jpg
* I just noticed the screw laying around the CPU cooler lol.

Main changes:
- Holes are slightly wider as I'm securing the bracket with the included head-screws that came with the Noctua SecureFirm kit as shown in the picture.
- Hole positions have been accommodated to match the socket size of the EPYC 3K board.
- The position of the CPU Cooler has been moved to no interfere with the PCIe slot for when a card is in place as you can see in the picture.
- Because of the change of position I had to cut the height in the backside of the bracket as was interfering with the heat pipes.

So the only task left is to print it on PC, so from the companies, I found locally none of them responded, so I'm going to order the print via Treatstock which I'm not sure how long is going to take, but well I will wait :)

Again thank you very much for the help.

Regards.

Rolando

Attachments

Slavearm

Apr 15, 2017
You could absolutely just print in ABS and be fine I think. So if you can get it done in ABS for a reasonable price Quickly I would. Just tell the printer to scale for abs shrinkage since the dimensions are important.

Looks great by the way. It is how I wanted to design the other one but because of the socket differences could not. Nice job.

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
I'm going to check the ABS option too then. Before I forget the needed length of the screws are 20mm.

Regards.

Rolando.

You could absolutely just print in ABS and be fine I think. So if you can get it done in ABS for a reasonable price Quickly I would. Just tell the printer to scale for abs shrinkage since the dimensions are important.

Looks great by the way. It is how I wanted to design the other one but because of the socket differences could not. Nice job.

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
Initial tests on open bench, M11SDV-8C-LN4F with Noctua C14S and the modified brackets:

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 23.34.52.png

So far so good!

maes

Nov 11, 2018
I might have missed that information earlier, but did anyone ID the screw size used on the stock Supermicro heatsinks (either the passive or the active version)? Are they m2.5, m3 or something else entirely?

techo91

Feb 13, 2020
Well...finally I got BUF-E and replaced my old heatsink. I am really impressed with the results. with my 60mm noctua FAN no higher than 40 Grad :) in normal operating mode (low CPU usage) and now it's really silent!
Hi Alex, where did you find the heatsink in Europe?