Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ok, I don´t know whats going wrong with my setup, because I´ve got my Cooljag 2U copper heatsink today and the idle temps (54°C and 57°C) are still to high I think.

I remove the original screws from heatsink and fix it with ne Cooljag. Put some Thermal Paste on the CPU and installed the Cooljag. I´ve placed for testing the Noctua A6x25 in front of the Cooljag to blow air through the HS to the back of the case.

I´m a little bit surprised that all of you had significant drops of temps. Mine is only around 8°C.
Did you put thermal paste on in addition to what came on the Cooljag heatsink? It already comes with paste on it there's no need to add more. Having too much paste can definitely result in higher temps.

mdahal

Feb 24, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have got new X10SDV-2C-TLN2F-O with D-1508 running as freenas unit on fractal design define XL Initially on a full load the temp was hitting 104°C managed to get that down to 78°C after installing multiple fans.

However, the noise from multiple noctua 3000rpm fan is not passing wife test therefore, I would be very interested in the SNK-C0054A4L. Have anyone here confirmed that this could be installed without removing the back plate ?

Furthermore, if I need to go with cooljag BBUF-A and remove the backplate it is easy to remove using heat gun ? I am not very confident to remove by pushing that's all.

Appreciate your help.

mdahal

Feb 24, 2017
@Evan thank you for your reply. You are correct. I need some active cooling on the cpu. I had looked at B3n's solution and since my tower is standing with the motherboard on side not sure how it would fare with the fans vibration. I wanted permanent solution so was wondering if the above mentioned cooler would be a perfect fit without having to remove the back plate.

If I need to remove backplate if it is easier/safer with hot gun and use one of cooljag cooler.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@mdahal sorry I can't comment on the cooljag, I just put a dab of glue on the rubber mounts for my fan, granted I am running it horazontal but seems solid to run in any way.

mdahal

Feb 24, 2017
@Evan Thank you. If I don't get a confirmation I might just order one of joctua pwm fan and mount it that way. What sort of glue did you use ?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Evan Thank you. If I don't get a confirmation I might just order one of joctua pwm fan and mount it that way. What sort of glue did you use ?

Was either a silicone rubber type or a urethane type. I don't actually know as it was a friends but I will ask if he remembers.
I know we discussed it being able handle temperature and preferably not impossible to remove. Pretty sure we settled on a silicone sealant type glue since it was more easy to remove later.

jodis

Dec 17, 2016
Did you put thermal paste on in addition to what came on the Cooljag heatsink? It already comes with paste on it there's no need to add more. Having too much paste can definitely result in higher temps.
Yes I put some extra paste on it.
Now I removed the Heatsink, also the paste with alcohol. Then I install the third Cooljag (not used yet) without extra paste and the result is the same (57°C).

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
Hi,
Question : Is it possible to buy only the metallic parts to fix a fan on the heatsink ? (for X10SDV-XC sold without fan)
Or something similar (without removing the original heatsink) ?

mdahal

Feb 24, 2017
@hjfr from what I have seen in forums and supermicro that part number is for the whole assembly. Looks like it is not possible to buy just the fan. I am trying to find myself if the whole itself fits the passive cooler without having to remove backplate. Atleast that is a bit less risk and less work.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
No problem at all .... at least the info is here for anyone else to sift through in case they have the same questions.

* * * NOTE about the backplate * * *

I didn't feel so good about removing the backplate, and I didn't want to be That Guy
that destroyed a motherboard trying to do it.

I ended up just swapping the screws off the original heatsink.
Look at Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Those screw retaining rings are optional. This was much easier and safer to me and didn't even require me to remove the motherboard from the chassis.
@hjfr from what I have seen in forums and supermicro that part number is for the whole assembly. Looks like it is not possible to buy just the fan. I am trying to find myself if the whole itself fits the passive cooler without having to remove backplate. Atleast that is a bit less risk and less work.
Ref: Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

I think if you go from Supermicro (passive heatsink) to Supermicro (Fan/Heatsink combo), the most
you should have to do is swap the screws.

mdahal

Feb 24, 2017
@Netwerkz101 Thank you for the information. I am ordering both the noctua and supermicro and will test which gets best results. Supermicro should be less hacky/ permanent solution.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
I've ordered the BUF-A 1U fan. Will reuse the screws + springs from stock heatsink to avoid backplate removal. I've also bought a Gelid silent fan 50mm to replace the stock fan in case it's noisy as Noctua only comes 40/60 which won't fit the bracket.

Though the 60 works great on the stock heatsink just by sitting on top of it. Also I recommend putting 40mm on the SAS chip as it heats up a lot, even when disabled.

robinxue

Mar 15, 2017
Hi,I am new here.

I got a Supermicro X10SDV-F (d1540, itx with dual nic) 3 months ago. I replaced the cooler resently with silverstone NT06-PRO:
u=3397840502,2856825015&fm=85&s=C1348173E0A43AA6F50DD9060100E0E1.jpg
A huge Cooler (14cm x 14CM), however fit this mainboard amazingly.

I used a buckle bought from Internet (taobao.com in China):
7021299691243744.jpg
Installing:
240003696162424966.jpg

Almost done:
227513210473765619.jpg

The case:
496799227617605936.jpg
Case: Aopen S180 (an old itx model)
Fan: Sanyo Denki 9S1212P4L011.

It's quiet and cool, while maybe a little bit overkill I guess.

Last edited:

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
I've put in that cooljag 1u active fan one. It's not too loud actually but the results are good. I'm running around 41-42C, and I only have 2 80mm fans in that case pulling air from the front.

I think even if you put some more quieter fan in place of the 50mm cooljag, it'll probably run around 46-48C which is still better than passive heatsink with case fans blowing over. With the stock heatsink and using the same 80mm fans, I was reaching 75C. Not sure why supermicro even bothers with passive heatsinks for CPU, active is so much more efficient.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I've put in that cooljag 1u active fan one. It's not too loud actually but the results are good. I'm running around 41-42C, and I only have 2 80mm fans in that case pulling air from the front.

I think even if you put some more quieter fan in place of the 50mm cooljag, it'll probably run around 46-48C which is still better than passive heatsink with case fans blowing over. With the stock heatsink and using the same 80mm fans, I was reaching 75C. Not sure why supermicro even bothers with passive heatsinks for CPU, active is so much more efficient.
These chips are really designed to be run in 1U/2U rackmount systems with high static pressure fans constantly pushing air through the case. Obviously this scenario is very loud but that's not SM's concern as their intended consumer is mainly putting these in isolated server rooms.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Does any have any spare stock heatsink/fan(SNK-C0057A4L) that they can sell to me? I had to remove the screws from mine to use it on the cooljag so i didn't have to remove the backplate and I can't find it anywhere. I need it just in case I have to send my board for rma.

mdahal

Feb 24, 2017
Hello everyone, I have received my noctua fan looks like it is not as effective in my case. As the temperature is same as before. (My other fans must be working well). I am currently running 58-62 idle and 72 on full load. I am happy with this will see if I can remove one side fan to decrease noise. My ambient temperature varies from 7- 35 depending on the weather but idle temp seems to be constant throughout.