Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Has anyone had any success replacing the heatsink on an ASRock Rack Xeon D board? They don't have a backplate for their stock heatsink but they do seem to have stock nuts glued to the bottom of the MoBo that don't seem to come loose even with heat applied. Having trouble getting my Cooljag 2U installed because those nuts have to be removed to install the Cooljag backplate.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Will it work with the old back plate?
There is no old backplate, just these nuts that are attached to the motherboard. And no, the Cooljag screws are too big for it. Even tried to swap the screws that came with the stock cool and use them with the Cooljag heatsink but that was a no go as they are just too small and go right through the holes of the Cooljag.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Honestly don't think there is a way to get these nuts off without damaging the board which is a real bummer. I'll test the board with the stock heatsink but considering I know what the Cooljag BUF-E is capable of see the temps I'm getting on my D-1537, I don't expect to be satisfied.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
There is no old backplate, just these nuts that are attached to the motherboard. And no, the Cooljag screws are too big for it. Even tried to swap the screws that came with the stock cool and use them with the Cooljag heatsink but that was a no go as they are just too small and go right through the holes of the Cooljag.
This is where you head down to the local hardware store to look for some washers.
Alternately, you could cut/drill your own.

This is to use the original screws that you know already fit the screw holes
without slipping through the heat sink holes.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just as a FYI, I brought the Cooljag 2U and Dynatron 1U copper coolers to show the Supermicro PM for these boards last week.

Reactions: pgh5278 and Geran

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
This is where you head down to the local hardware store to look for some washers.
Alternately, you could cut/drill your own.

This is to use the original screws that you know already fit the screw holes
without slipping through the heat sink holes.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually able to simply take the springs off the Cooljag screws and use them with in conjunction with the stock screws to attach the Cooljag BUF-E. Board is installed and running and temps on my D-1541 are fantastic. Will do some stress testing tonight to see how they match up against my D-1537 board.

Reactions: Netwerkz101

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Can you please post temp differences between stock cooler and the new one installed? I got same d-1541 but I don't know if it will make a noticeable difference.

smitty2k1

Mar 2, 2016
Unfortunately not. I removed the stock cooler before installing the board but based on the huge differences I'm seeing over the stock cooler on my D-1537 board.
While not using the ASRock Rack board, I am using a Gigabyte D1521 board and am interested in cooling performance difference as well. Are you using the stock fan with this new heatsink? The Gigabyte heatsink seems decent, but the fan is pretty meh. Looking for a new 40mm fan. The only good one seems to be the Noctua, but it isn't PWM

http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5908#ov

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
While not using the ASRock Rack board, I am using a Gigabyte D1521 board and am interested in cooling performance difference as well. Are you using the stock fan with this new heatsink? The Gigabyte heatsink seems decent, but the fan is pretty meh. Looking for a new 40mm fan. The only good one seems to be the Noctua, but it isn't PWM

GIGABYTE - Server Motherboard - BGA 1667 - MB10-DS1 (rev. 1.3)
I am not using the stock fan. My setup is configured as shown in these pics. Though now that I've swapped that FlexATX board out for a MicroATX board the duct is much shorter since the CPU is closer to the front of the case. But to answer your question, I'm using a SuperMicro 80mm PWM fan with a duct to blow cool air onto the HSF and then I have a 40mm Notctua behind it pulling the air through.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually able to simply take the springs off the Cooljag screws and use them with in conjunction with the stock screws to attach the Cooljag BUF-E. Board is installed and running and temps on my D-1541 are fantastic. Will do some stress testing tonight to see how they match up against my D-1537 board.
I will order the cooljag and just remove the screws from the stock heatsink and use them on the cooljag. That way I would not be voiding my warranty.

jodis

Dec 17, 2016
I am not using the stock fan. My setup is configured as shown in these pics. Though now that I've swapped that FlexATX board out for a MicroATX board the duct is much shorter since the CPU is closer to the front of the case. But to answer your question, I'm using a SuperMicro 80mm PWM fan with a duct to blow cool air onto the HSF and then I have a 40mm Notctua behind it pulling the air through.
How did you fix the Noctua? And what Noctua Model is this?

I´ve ordered 2 Cooljag BUF-E today for my 2 X10SDV-TP8F Boards, because now I have idle temps above 60° C and that is too much. A Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM blowing down to the standard Heatsink and 2 bequiet 80mm Fans are in front of the case RaidSonic RackMax RM-1920, but that is not enough. And I like it quiet also, but in my case the Fans running at 1200RPM and are noticeable.
I hope with the Cooljag the idle temps and sounds getting better. Maybe a air duct like yours helps also.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Remove the nuts with de-soldering braid and a fine tip soldering iron. As there are no other components nearby there is little chance of damaging the board. 5 minute job.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Anyone else SAS2 temps are like 85+C? Anyway to turn off this chip since I don't even use any of the SAS connectors on my D1537 board..

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Anyone else SAS2 temps are like 85+C? Anyway to turn off this chip since I don't even use any of the SAS connectors on my D1537 board..
If the temp is that high and you're not even using the ports than you must have an airflow problem. I would address that before you start trying to disable MB features.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
If the temp is that high and you're not even using the ports than you must have an airflow problem. I would address that before you start trying to disable MB features.
Yeah I'm trying to quiet my servers in order to use the room as an office and currently I just transferred the MB into a 2U case which has 2 80mm fans - Noctua.

I don't think these flow enough but not sure what else to do... reuse my 1U case again? It's pretty loud even throttled down the 4x40mm fans.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yeah I'm trying to quiet my servers in order to use the room as an office and currently I just transferred the MB into a 2U case which has 2 80mm fans - Noctua.

I don't think these flow enough but not sure what else to do... reuse my 1U case again? It's pretty loud even throttled down the 4x40mm fans.
Yea Notctua's are probably not pushing enough air. One thing you can try is adding ducts and adding pull fans to help moved the air simliar to how I have mine shown here.

Reactions: Moominpappa