Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
What case is that in @Bradford ?

I put the BUF-A I got from antares into my little home server. I replaced the fanless aluminum heatsink on my new A1SRM-2758F. It's been on for the past 3 days nonstop and it's holding at 22 C. I had to use washers for the new backplate - I used some soft-ish rubber ones that seem to work pretty well. The backplate was kind of hard to get off because of the tape, but I didn't use a heat gun. I just eased it out with pressure.

bishop2020

Sep 1, 2013
Paul over at TinkerTry has a new Xeon D-1567 bundle with Wiredzone which appears to use a different variant of the X10SDV platform that isn't available elsewhere (Supermicro doesn't list any 1567-based boards on their website). This one has a bigger active heatsink/fan than the usual active package found on the X10SDV boards. The part number is SNK-COO92A4L, he mentioned he hasn't had any luck finding it available anywhere but might be worth seeing if anyone with the right contacts can track it down.

Here's the video of him unboxing the new server and discovering the new heatsink/fan.

Reactions: nev_neo

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
One other difference is the height of the heatsink as it sits atop the processor. The 54A4L version looks to be fitted for a much shorter processor/socket combination, whereas the 57A4L looks like its designed with taller procs with IHS installed, and maybe less overall heat to dissipate.

These are excellent differences to know though, and I apologize for sending you on such a goose chase!
No problem at all .... at least the info is here for anyone else to sift through in case they have the same questions.

* * * NOTE about the backplate * * *

I didn't feel so good about removing the backplate, and I didn't want to be That Guy
that destroyed a motherboard trying to do it.

I ended up just swapping the screws off the original heatsink.
Look at Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Those screw retaining rings are optional. This was much easier and safer to me and didn't even require me to remove the motherboard from the chassis.

Reactions: JSNAS and Patrick

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Are these Cooljag 1U and 2U copper heatsinks for sale anywhere?

EDIT: Nvmd, found it here.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

Mar 2, 2016
Can anyone recommend a decent 40mm PWM fan?

My Gigabyte Xeon D-1521 came with a heatsink+fan but the fan is a little 'buzzier' than I would like for my apartment. The fan it came with is only 10mm thick or so, so I think a thicker fan may perform better?

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
[snip]

Currently using the Supermicro SNK-C0057A4L ...
Used the included / pre-applied thermal paste.
Ambient temp is 79 degrees "F" in the mancave and my 1u case top is off.

[snip]

My thoughts / ideas now and going forward:

I am going to run it like it is ... well... putting top on...for a while and watch.

[snip]
@Netwerkz101, did you get any more temperature results on running the SNK-C0057A4L in a 1U case with the case closed? It would be good to know whether the processor remained reasonably cool.

Dave

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
@Netwerkz101, did you get any more temperature results on running the SNK-C0057A4L in a 1U case with the case closed? It would be good to know whether the processor remained reasonably cool.

Dave
Temps have remained in the low 40's idle w/ fan speed @ ~3000RPM

I am not sure of the temp limit for the Xeon D-1518 .. 60-80C i think but I stay a good deal under
those limits so I'm good with low 40s.

I'm still light load and have not stressed it at all.

Reactions: WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
Temps have remained in the low 40's idle w/ fan speed @ ~3000RPM

I am not sure of the temp limit for the Xeon D-1518 .. 60-80C i think but I stay a good deal under
those limits so I'm good with low 40s.

I'm still light load and have not stressed it at all.
Being in the low 40s is fine. Thanks for your response.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Installed my new CoolJag BUF-E today on my D-1537 board. Idle temps dropped 15C right off the bat. Will be doing some load testing later today. First impression...VERY happy with this purchase. I'm planning to upgrade one of my D-1537 boards to a D-1541 and I'm now optimistic I won't have any heat issues (I have a second CoolJag BUF-E ready to go).

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Just a quick update. I did load testing last night with 9 simultaneous Plex transcodes (8 live transcodes, 1 optimized version to ensure CPU was at 100%) and temps never moved past 60C. Previously I'd be hitting 80C on load sometimes higher. I'm overjoyed with the performance of this heatsink.

Reactions: Yamabushi

solaris12

Jul 3, 2013
Installed my new CoolJag BUF-E today on my D-1537 board. Idle temps dropped 15C right off the bat. Will be doing some load testing later today. First impression...VERY happy with this purchase. I'm planning to upgrade one of my D-1537 boards to a D-1541 and I'm now optimistic I won't have any heat issues (I have a second CoolJag BUF-E ready to go).

COOLJAG CPU HEATSINK COPPER 1100 OAK-E2 FOR 2U SERVERS | eBay
Is it this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
My d-1541 is running hot for being a 45w cpu. Anyone has found any other better heatsink besides the cooljag one?

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Hitting 80C easily and I can see the cpu throttling because of it. Wish I could use like a noctua or water cooling but alas microserver used this weird heatsink layout where nothing fits because of it :(

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Hitting 80C easily and I can see the cpu throttling because of it. Wish I could use like a noctua or water cooling but alas microserver used this weird heatsink layout where nothing fits because of it :(
Were you talking about the CoolJag 2U copper passive heatsink pictured above or one of the others??

What type of load are you running to hit 80C?
What type of ambient temps are you dealing with?

Some Supermicro motherboards with SoC Xeon D had a fan/heatsink combo ..does yours?
If you only have the heatsink, you may want to try the Supermicro combo for active cpu cooling.

See the pics here:
Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Mine came with the active heatsink. Running a video surveillance app plus a few plex streams.

Yes I was talking about the CoolJag 2U. It seems like it will improve temps vs stock heatsink/fan that I have but if I will be spending money i rather go all the way and buy the BEST cooling i could get. Thanks for the help tho.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Mine came with the active heatsink. Running a video surveillance app plus a few plex streams.

Yes I was talking about the CoolJag 2U. It seems like it will improve temps vs stock heatsink/fan that I have but if I will be spending money i rather go all the way and buy the BEST cooling i could get. Thanks for the help tho.
The Cooljag 2U is the best performing aftermarket option from everything I've seen which is why I chose it.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia

look on page 1 of this group of posts, I included a chart of standard HS temp with this cooljag 2U heatsink...A big drop in Temps..from my setup//