Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Good Afternoon Folks, my X10SDV-4C-7TP4F arrived recently to be part of a reasonably quiet system. Been reading intently the other threads on heat and cooling issues / requirements for these SM board. To understand the processor / requirements a little more downloaded the the intel " Intel® Xeon® Processor D-1500 Product Family Thermal/Mechanical Specification and Design Guide, dated november 2015 " which was immediately an eye opener.
The 4 or so designs they provide for use, are different to what SM used, which is no major issue in the short term for alternate heatsinks. ALl of these intel drawings are for mounting holes at 56mm x 38mm, the supermicro cooler is approx 50.xmm x 50.xmm.

Looking at intel drawings, they are all for very high airflow environments as below.

upload_2016-6-30_16-40-32.png

and something a little more like the current SM cooler.

upload_2016-6-30_16-43-55.png

The goal I am embarking on is to create something, without too much agricultural engineering or cost to cool it more quietly in 3 u case. As is the usual case I recently threw out 2 very old coolers which may have been close to the needs.
Plan is to look at some 2U coolers like the intel or SM, probably with ones with fans as they have more open area to redrill new mount holes, or one of the new Noctua coolers NH-D9DX i4 3U or NH-D9L. The SM boards have very little space on one side of the CPU, but the other 3 sides have more flexibilty for overhang.

I did look on the internet, there are in fact many coolers out there for Xeon D, but all similar to the Intel drawings or the existing SM versions. So the exercise will begin in the next few days. Any practical and brilliant ideas will be gladly accepted :). Will update in a couple days with some news..

Last edited:
Reactions: Tha_14 and scline

scline

Apr 7, 2016
I am super interested in this, I recently went down the route of trying to create a 80mm -> 50mm funnel for better airflow via 3d printing. Results were worse unfortunately and went back to the stock fan (like 10C hotter worse:()

I have the same chip D-1518 but using a passive CPU+shroud on one 40mm fan and get great cooling out of that. Would love something larger then 1U however.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
UPDATE TIME:

Good News for cooling these XEON D.
Cooljag make a nice copper cooler, screws straight in, as the support screws are the same thread and spacing as some earlier Socket rPGA988 used in mobile i5 and i7 cpu.. Have purchased and is now halfway across the pacific ocean, hope to have it on Friday.
It is the cooljag BUF-E, and easily purchased, there was a second 2U cooler with FAN, but couldn't find it online..

2U copper weight 0.5KG BUF-ECooljag USA
2U aluminium with Fan BUF-D/S-ACooljag USA
1U copper weight 0.26KG BUF-B2Cooljag USA

Have also purchased a couple Cooler Master coolers to play with for use in Towers / 4U and 3U if the above has any issues..These three coolers have smaller bases which may make it easier to adapt to the mounting holes which are 51mm apart, with some jiggery pokery or agricultual engineering to teh existing mounts with each cooler..
Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler
Hyper D92 Universal CPU Cooler
Hyper 103 Universal CPU Cooler

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
UPDATE TIME:

Good News for cooling these XEON D.
Cooljag make a nice copper cooler, screws straight in, as the support screws are the same thread and spacing as some earlier Socket rPGA988 used in mobile i5 and i7 cpu.. Have purchased and is now halfway across the pacific ocean, hope to have it on Friday.
It is the cooljag BUF-E, and easily purchased, there was a second 2U cooler with FAN, but couldn't find it online..

2U copper weight 0.5KG BUF-ECooljag USA
2U aluminium with Fan BUF-D/S-ACooljag USA
1U copper weight 0.26KG BUF-B2Cooljag USA

Have also purchased a couple Cooler Master coolers to play with for use in Towers / 4U and 3U if the above has any issues..These three coolers have smaller bases which may make it easier to adapt to the mounting holes which are 51mm apart, with some jiggery pokery or agricultual engineering to teh existing mounts with each cooler..
Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler
Hyper D92 Universal CPU Cooler
Hyper 103 Universal CPU Cooler
I'd be very interested in the 2U copper heatsinks if they work well. Where can you buy them?

Yamabushi

Feb 19, 2016
No pressing need, but I'm interested in this as well. Please, keep us updated, pics appreciated! ;)

MikeChristie

Jul 27, 2016
Back in the day, one of my first forays into media PCs used an Asus N4L-VM DH motherboard with a Core2Duo mobile chip. The board had a custom heatsink included, which was rubbish. I ended up jury-rigging a solution using a Noctua chipset cooler. I'm wondering is something similar could be achieved with something like this for those planning to use a case with a bit of headroom.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Update 2: with results !!
Note this is to use the boards in 2u to 4u chassis.

Summary: the passive Cooljag BUF-E offers a considerable improvement in heat transfer and cooling of the Xeon D over the supermicro (SM) passive 1u heat sink as delivered with these boards. The test was run system at idle and then PRIME95 program with a given workload, on each heat sink. It was not required to run a 100% workload, to indicate if the heat sink was an improvement.

The improvement was a reduction in fan speed and a 21 C drop in temp. Note the fan speed in plot below is the average of the 3 fans, there was basically a spread of +/- 100 rpm. Note: the goal was to not try and keep the cpu temp at ambient, that was a consequence of the test conditions.

upload_2016-9-19_12-34-39.png

Choose this cooler to test first because:
1. it has more space between fins, which requires less air pressure to cool effectively, and potentially lower power fans.
2. 2u not 1u
3. copper generally has a superior thermal conductivity than steel, however impurities and the elements in the alloys can significantly change thermal conductivity.
4. to change the coolers was easy, undo 4 screws, remove back plate and install new cooler and backplate
5. easily available at antares pro and frozencpu online retailers, then via shipito to Australia.
Thanks to Patrick for the heads up on removing the original heat sink. Ran it for 20 minutes, removed mounting screws, and twisted, it did not come easily..... The heat sink backplane was harder to remove as it was stuck to the motherboard, it required a screw to be installed and move from mounting hole to mounting hole, and several taps to loosen it.

Used a SM Xeon d-1518 in X10SDV-4c-7tp4f board in a SM cse-835 chassis with 3 of the 6 fans installed. ( back 2 fans and 1 chassis fan removed). The fans were set to optimal (lowest setting in the original bios), this provided a lowest spin of 2900-3000 rpm which was relatively quiet. The air baffle was in place and will accommodate 2U cooler, but probably not a 3U heat sink.

The only issue was the heat sink back plate on the cooljag had a thinner insulating layer, which required the placement of 4 fibre washer as often used in computer mounts, to provide the same standoff to stop the 4 mounting screws from bottoming out on the threaded section.

Now I have the original SM back plate, will look at some 3 or 4U heat sinks which require a very simple mod to drill 4 holes to mount them. Will try to get a photo of the 2 heat sinks side by side, but he data below provides a good representation..

BUF-ECooljag USA

upload_2016-9-19_12-45-36.png
upload_2016-9-19_12-46-35.png

Reactions: Patrick

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Making me want to try this: https://www.amazon.com/Dynatron-I2-Cooling-Fan-Heatsink/dp/B004WMCX2U/ (but not a pwm fan)

Edit - this one is also 51 mm x 51 mm and looks a lot like the Xeon D / Atom C2000 Supermicro coolers https://www.amazon.com/Cooljag-Active-BGA1023-BGA1288-BGA1364/dp/B014OIN2GM/
Cooljag make a 2u with vertical fan, but could not find it for sale anywhere..
A 1U option below is cooljag BBUF-B2, this would cool better with less flow as well..than the SM version..
• Application: Intel Core i7, i5 & i3 Mobile processor Socket rBGA989, rBGA1023 & rBGA1364
• Dimensions: 60 mm (L) x 58mm (W) x 25 mm (H)
• Material : Copper / • Fin Pitch : 2.1 mm / • Fin thickness : 0.5mm
• Weight : 260 g

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
A 1U option below is cooljag BBUF-B2, this would cool better with less flow as well..than the SM version..
• Application: Intel Core i7, i5 & i3 Mobile processor Socket rBGA989, rBGA1023 & rBGA1364

Now this I'm interested in as I'm planning to move my D-1537 servers into 1U chassis'. Where can these be purchased? And these are confirmed to work with the 1667 socket?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Cannot find that one for sale. Have been looking. It is the one I want.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
FYI - Retail for the BBUF-B2 is ~$40 plus shipping. I a little steep for a just a HS. If you are a business it's a little cheaper.

RchGrav

Aug 21, 2015
Has there been any testing w/ this cooler on the X10SDV. If they work well I think cooljag would supply us if we want to do a group buy. I have been talking with them via e-mail and I'm paying to have a single unit sent to me for testing. I dont have a price yet but I'm sure the price would be less if we organized a group buy for additional units.

Has anyone tested this cooler yet? If not I will give you my results once I receive mine.

CoolJag JACGJ20A

(Edit: Reading the above posts it sounds like SM went with non-standard mounting holes on the X10SDV, if that is the case its a real bummer. I'm interested in what else anyone finds as a viable solution.)

Regards,

Rich

Last edited:

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Not that I am aware of. It's aluminum though. How is that really any better than the stock SM setup?