SuperMicro X9SRE-F and PCI audio card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I'm trying to build a Windows 7 64-bit workstation using a SuperMicro X9SRE-F motherboard. I'm trying to use an Asus Xonar D1 PCI card in one of the SuperMicro PCI-X slots and connect it to an Altec Lansing 251 set (5 speakers + subwoofer).

When I configure the Asus control panel app for 2 speakers, everything sounds fine. If I configure it for 5.1 speakers (or anything besides 2 speakers), I notice the following:

1) When I repeatedly tap on the Windows taskbar sound slider (without moving the slider) to repeatedly hear that bell sound at the same volume, the bell sound randomly varies in volume and seems to move around a bit to different speakers. I also occasionally hear a crackle/pop sound.

2) When I use the Asus control panel app's speaker test feature, I notice the wrong speaker being triggered about 1 out of every 5 times. For example, if I repeatedly click on the left surround speaker, the test voice usually comes out of the left surround speaker but every 5th time or so it will come out the left front, center or even in one case, the right surround speaker.

3) If the sample rate is set to PCM 192 KHz, all sounds are completely distorted (again, unless I set the app to 2 speakers).

The SuperMicro system has no other PCI cards but does have 3 PCI express cards. The audio card and speakers work fine when installed/connected to another system.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

vegaman

Sep 12, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
I have no experience with PCI-X so could be completely off. But my first thoughts would be to check the frequency, voltage, bits and such that the slot is running the card at.
Then maybe check for an IRQ conflict as well.