Supermicro X9SCM/X9SCL LGA-1155 Xeon Motherboard Series

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
- SATA 6G ports are solid. A single Crucial C300 benches 340-350MB/s reads and in Raid0 its about double that. Previously I was only able to achieve those speeds and max out multiple C300's with an Areca 1880i.

- All (6) SATA ports can be configured individually for Staggered Spinup, eSata mode and Hot Plugging.

- Raid mode can be configured for LSI or Intel raid stack, supporting RAID 0, 1, 5, 10.

- Windows 2008 R2SP1 loads in 4 seconds with a single C300 on SATA 6G port in AHCI mode.

- TRIM appears to be supported with 2 x C300 in RAID0 with Intel RAID driver (or at least the "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" command reports 0 which is the correct value for TRIM)

- Onboard video is Matrox G200ew. Assumably, with an E3-xxx5 Xeon the IGP would take over. Even though there is only a VGA port on the motherboard (no DVI/HDMI) and most of the the "HD" aspects of the IGP would never be used, mainly I'd want the IGP for the hardware accelerated display driver.

Last edited:

nilsga

Mar 8, 2011
Do you know if the sata-controllers on the X9SCM-F show up as PCI devices that could be passed through to a VM with ESXi? If that's the case, this setup might be very very interesting...

(Edit: Moved from different thread)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
- Onboard video is Matrox G200ew. Assumably, with an E3-xxx5 Xeon the IGP would take over. Even though there is only a VGA port on the motherboard (no DVI/HDMI) and most of the the "HD" aspects of the IGP would never be used, mainly I'd want the IGP for the hardware accelerated display driver.
BTW I think this is going to be in the C206 chip set (see http://ark.intel.com/m/chipset/53101). Will probably test and have more info later.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
That's a problem then, if the IGP on an E3-xxx5 wouldn't be usable on the X9SCM. I wonder C206 = C204 but with the addition of DVI and HDMI outputs.

Last edited:

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Anyone else receive this motherboard yet? Having a couple issues, wondering if its a bad board or there's a bigger problem.

1) Video corruption with Matrox e200 driver from supplied driver CD. Only way to get proper video is with windows "Standard VGA" driver.

2) System freezes randomly if all four DIMM slots are populated, but not when only first two slots (DIMM 1A and 2A) are populated - 100% reproducible. Modules are known working, have tried four different sets of 4GB Kingston pairs that were all tested with MemTest86 for 72 hours without errors.

Waiting to hear back from Supermicro. I swear, every upgrade lately is two steps forward one step back.

Last edited:

nilsga

Mar 8, 2011
It's supposed to take 32GB ECC unbuffered RAM. That means 4 x 8GB. But I can't seem to find 8GB ECC unbuffered modules. Do they exist?

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
It's supposed to take 32GB ECC unbuffered RAM. That means 4 x 8GB. But I can't seem to find 8GB ECC unbuffered modules. Do they exist?
Where do you see that it supposed to support 32GB of ECC unbuffered RAM? 5500 chipset boards dont even support that much ECC Unbuffered RAM. Do you have a copy of the manual or something because i have not seen anything from SM regarding specs for these boards.

Also you are correct about those DIMMs not existing, because no board can support them :)

Only 5500/5520 chipset dual IOH based boards take that much (48GB to exact); but they usually have 12+ DIMMs

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Technically, the boards are not released yet so there is no information. However, the C200 and P67 boards are fairly similar (in fact chip set drivers say 6 series and C200 series). The P67 supports 32GB unbuffered non-ECC memory. This is up from the 5-series/ 3400 series and 5500/5520 series motherboards where one needed to use registered DIMMs at 8GB capacities.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Looks pretty official, nonetheless i still havent seen any ECC UDIMMs > 4GB.
Any reason you are staying away from RDIMMs?

RDIMMs really arent that much more expensive. That is prob even more true when it comes to High Capacity DIMMS like we are discussing here. The mfgr know that >4gb per DIMM is not mainstream and you are going to pay a premium regardless of speed, CL, Reg/Unbuffered, etc.

nilsga

Mar 8, 2011
I'm not staying away from RDIMMs. But can you use RDIMMs in a motherboard specified for UDIMMs?

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
hmm...yea looking at the page you linked closer i see "Support ECC DDR3 UDIMM only"....but this does seem a bit odd IMO considering the 3400/3420 chipset did support both UDIMMs and RDIMMs. I think there is just a lot we don't know yet because nothing has been officially released.
Also i noticed that it uses Intel® 82579LM LAN chip which is fine if you are running windows, but there is no support for *NIX at this time.

Pleasures of being an early adopter i guess :)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
As I recall, when the E3-12xx chips showed up on Ark for a few days by mistake, they clearly indicated ECC UDIMM support, but did not indicate ECC RDIMM support. What appears on the SuperMicro pages above is consistent with that.

The reason you need RDIMM after the DIMM reaches a certain size is because the CPUs memory controller cannot drive the memory cards correctly without the extra register to help manage it. Without the register, the CPU memory controller has to deal directly with all of the memory chips on the DIMM. Apparently, Intel's designs for the E3-12xx series can handle bigger memory chips directly - thus support for 8GB UDIMMs.

Having done this, they also apparently dropped the logic required to support RDIMMs at all.

Now we have a marketplace problem. None of the memory manufacturers have 8GB ECC UDIMMs because - until now - no CPU or chipset existed that could use them. No need to manufacture a product that has no demand...

Time will fix this. Once the E3-12xx chips start hitting the marketplace in a big way you'll see the 8GB ECC UDIMMs show up too. Should also note that the UDIMMs have to be dual-rank. Apparently this chip will not support quad-rank DIMMs at all, so expect these 8GB ECC UDIMMs to be on the expensive side, at least for a while.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Also i noticed that it uses Intel® 82579LM LAN chip which is fine if you are running windows, but there is no support for *NIX at this time.

Pleasures of being an early adopter i guess :)
The 6-series and C200 series board's integrated 10/100/1000 supports both the 82579LM and 82579V. Hence why one sees them more these days.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Finally got a replacement X9SCM-F, AcmeMicro was useless - had to go to Supermicro directly for an advance-replace. Video corruption is gone and system freezing is also gone, now I can finally do some testing.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Finally got a replacement X9SCM-F, AcmeMicro was useless - had to go to Supermicro directly for an advance-replace. Video corruption is gone and system freezing is also gone, now I can finally do some testing.
Sweet! Keep us posted. Guessing you got an early board since I don't think these are released.