Supermicro X9SCM-F generates PAL error during LSI 9211 erase

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kurtkurtosis

Jan 1, 2011
In order to convert from IR to IT mode one has to first erase the flash memory of the LSI 9211 card using DOS. I got the dreaded "Error: Failed to initiatlize PAL" message which suggests using a different motherboard to do the flashing. I used then an ASUS X-58 board that that seemed to work just fine.

Also just noticed that the X8 PCIe are not slotted on the X9SCM as it was on the X8SCM. Now video card requires X8 to X16 converter which is a bit annoying.

Just wanted to share these tidbits since both of these hardware items were recently reviewed by Patrick.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey appreciate the heads up to others on this. Also gave me a cool idea!

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Hmmm, I got the PAL message trying to flash the IT firmware/bios, not trying to erase. That said, I had 3 intel mobos in a row cause sas2flsh.exe to fail - finally got it working on my asus mobo.

kurtkurtosis

Jan 1, 2011
Need to erase flash going between IR and IT modes & vice versa

When I received the LSI 6211-8i card it was setup on IR mode. So flahsing between IR to IT mode is only possbile by first erasing the flash memory of the card. I did confirm that I could flash the card on the SM X9 mobo to the newest BIOS & firmware using as USB DOS key. However, I want to use ZFS with Solaris Express 11 so the IT mode is essential as ZFS wants direct control of the hard disks.

When I tried to flash from IR to IT intially, I also got an error message along the line that it is not possible to convert IR to IT. I didn not mention PAL. Only when I tried to erase did I get that message.

So now that the LSI 6211 is convereted to IT mode, I think i am OK to flash it on the SM X0 mobo for any IT updates. I have not tried it though.