Supermicro X9DRX - do I really need NVMe BIOS mod?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jfharper

Nov 23, 2018
I can't get the UEFI to recognize the NVMe drive in the EFI shell.

I was able to create a UEFI bootable USB Win 10 install stick using RUFUS which the BIOS can see.

Win 10 install can see the NVMe drive and I can select it as the install drive, and Win 10 creates the partitions and copies the install files to this drive, but when Win 10 reboots to finish install, it goes to the EFI Shell only (since I have this as the UEFI 1st boot option assuming it might work).

There is no fsx: available for the NVMe, only the USB fs0: is visible.

SM said the Samsung NVMe would be supported for my board under UEFI mode, but I cannot get it to work.

Just wanted to see if there was anything I could do before I go the mod bios route. I have UEFI only set in BIOS and the only UEFI drive seen under the Boot section is the USB UEFI...only other option is UEFI EFI shell.

The PCIe slot option is enable or disable for the NVMe drive. Unless I need to put the drive in PCIe slot 1, instead of slot 8. I have 2 graphics cards on slot 1 and 2.

bzaras

Apr 15, 2019
Poland, Cieszyn
first of all you need the latest bios, if you dont have it please update
second - clear cmos via jumper and load setup defaults (somehow i run with a strange quirk on my X9DRi-LN4F that nvme became bootable only after defaults loaded into setup even tough the settings after loading defaults were configured to be exactly the same as before),
if the board still does not see the drive you need modded bios.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Have you gone back to the bios and check the boot order ?? In my case I have to change the uefi boot order to use the windows os or windows boot manager and that allows me to boot using my samsung nvme.... Some X9 board requires you to edit the overall boot order and put the uefi windows boot at the very top for it to automatically boot to windows. Some other X9 board have no issue to put them at the bottom of the boot order, I am not sure why this is the case.

rrubberr

Light Transport Enthusiast
I got a 1TB PCIe based NVME drive yesterday, and installed it on a sketchy third-party add in card yesterday only to find it didn't boot, as well. The BIOS would not detect the Windows boot manager.

Similarly, I didn't want to modify my BIOS, but what worked for me was using a Duet/ReFind boot USB, and setting that as the first boot option.

You can find guides to make such a USB quite easily, just remember to copy the NVME driver into the proper folder before trying to boot or it will not detect your drive.

I had first tried to use Clover, as many guides suggest, but this didn't work for me, as Clover got stuck on "scanning entries" and refused to start.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
All, @jfharper hasn't been back since the day after he made this post. 1 Post & gone.

Might want to start a new thread with your own questions \ concerns.