Supermicro X9DRT-HF no disks found, LSI BPN-ADP-SAS2-H6iR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chrissweden

Feb 17, 2017
Need some help guys.
I got a supermicor fattwin with 2 nodes insides.

No disks are found in the backplane, disks don't even spin up. When I connect them I see a quick flash of blue on the LED but that's it.

BPN-ADP-SAS2-H6iR is connected to the motherboard but when trying to update the firmware from this page: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/LSI/2108/Firmware/2.130.403-4660/
it says controller not found.

Tried every bios option, ahci, ide, raid but nothing seems to work.

Updated bios to the latest version. Seller stated that the machine was tested and worked before with disks. Could it be that the bios update did this? If so, how to get back the initial bios firmware.

Tried both sas, sata disks in all bays.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
what slot do you put the drive in ? If you want sata 2 performance you should put it in slot 0-1

chrissweden

Feb 17, 2017
Since it's a backplane connected to a sas controller there is no real "slots" as it's all handled by the sas controller which seems to have a communication problem with the motherboard or backplane.

I'm sure that connecting sata cables directly to the mobo would work but that's obviously not an option.
Once again, disks don't even spin up and controller is not found during boot (no CTRL-I pop up)

chrissweden

Feb 17, 2017
Received initial bios firmware from supermicro, didn't fix the issue. They say it's likely a backplane/power problem. Anyway to test this? Backplane not getting enough power?

Last edited:

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Strange problem to have. I have had no issues with mine (running 1 disk per node though). If both nodes of the chassis are having the problem, I would agree that the issue is in the backplane. Time to take the lid off and poke around with a flashlight to look for anything obvious...

Also note that if you have the 6027tr-dtrf it does not support SAS.

chrissweden

Feb 17, 2017
It's probably the 6027TR-D71RF as it got a SAS controller in both nodes. Which, doesn't even pop up... Too bad supermicro doesn't use normal sas/sata controllers so can't really test it with a different controller either..

chrissweden

Feb 17, 2017
Backplane and one motherboard were/are broken.

Replaced the backplane for an older BPN-SAS-827B with 2x BPN-ADP-4SATA-H8 and the disks were found on one node.
Unfortunately the motherboard on the other node didn't find any disk. Tried swapping them in different bay and also swapped adapter to check if it wasn't doa. There's also no power on light at the front and the faulty motherboard only goes on if I put in the working node/motherboard in the other slot. :(

So now I have to find a cheap x9drt-hf or use a 2u machine with only 1 node... which renders the whole machine useless unless I could find a way to use all hdd bays on one node.

Anyway who has a spare x9drt-hf for a cheap price? :)

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
They do exist on eBay, looks like they go for ~$160 shipped. I have some, but no spares unfortunately...

mister_dj

Feb 23, 2017
Backplane and one motherboard were/are broken.

Replaced the backplane for an older BPN-SAS-827B with 2x BPN-ADP-4SATA-H8 and the disks were found on one node.
Unfortunately the motherboard on the other node didn't find any disk. Tried swapping them in different bay and also swapped adapter to check if it wasn't doa. There's also no power on light at the front and the faulty motherboard only goes on if I put in the working node/motherboard in the other slot. :(

So now I have to find a cheap x9drt-hf or use a 2u machine with only 1 node... which renders the whole machine useless unless I could find a way to use all hdd bays on one node.

Anyway who has a spare x9drt-hf for a cheap price? :)
Hey not to dig up an old thread, but can you confirm that the BPN-SAS-827B works with the X9DRT-HF? I am looking at buying a 6026TT-BTRF chassis which is designed for the X8 nodes, and want to know if the X9 nodes work.

Thanks!