Supermicro X9DRL-3F doing 5 short beeps and some weird beep

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
I just finish installed my server with
- SuperMicro X9Drl-3F/if
- 2 x E5-2650v2
- 2 x DDR3 16g - 1600 ECC Registered

However, when powered on the server, I got repeated 5 beeps and some weird beep. The 3 led on the keyboard turn on and off repeatedly too.
I've tried to remove 1 ram, and switch to other ram. Not workings.
I've tried to remove 1 CPU but same issue.

Here is my video:

Any advise? Thank you very much!

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
it looks like memory error, try to see if there is any extra stand within the chassis that's short the board.

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
try to see if there is any extra stand within the chassis that's short the board.
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I'm not sure how to check this, but I can't find any issue inside the chassis, i just take a picture the inside (please click on the image to see it bigger):

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
take out the MB and check the standoff on the chassis carefully to make sure there is no extra standoff that will short the MB.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
The manual (link) makes it look like you need to move one of those DIMMs around. Try moving the DIMM in P2-DIMMF1 to P2-DIMME1 with both CPUs in. The relevant page of the manual is 2-12 (page 36 of the PDF).

Something worth mentioning; although not the problem your experiencing is sometimes you'll get these memory problems with a SMBus conflict caused by a PCIe card. I have a Supermicro mobo that doesn't like my HP branded Connectx-3 so I have to tape over the B-side pins 5 and 6 to boot or It'll act up with the same memory error beeps.

Reactions: mmo

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
The manual (link) makes it look like you need to move one of those DIMMs around. Try moving the DIMM in P2-DIMMF1 to P2-DIMME1 with both CPUs in. The relevant page of the manual is 2-12 (page 36 of the PDF).

Something worth mentioning; although not the problem your experiencing is sometimes you'll get these memory problems with a SMBus conflict caused by a PCIe card. I have a Supermicro mobo that doesn't like my HP branded Connectx-3 so I have to tape over the B-side pins 5 and 6 to boot or It'll act up with the same memory error beeps.
Excellent catch.

upload_2019-3-17_1-43-18.png
upload_2019-3-17_1-43-57.png

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
Thank you all very much, let me check it again and get back with new update!

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
Finally. I got it working. This answer saved my life. Thank you herby and mmo for your kind support. Wish you all the best!

Reactions: herby

Phan

Feb 9, 2019
It's quite weird. I got this issue again (may be different - sometimes it end up with 4 beep) after go to the DC and replace the new HDD . The first time I boot up it show up Windows normally. After reset the server the issue happened again and again . When I go back to home and switched back to the old HDD, this issue gone.

The new HDD works good on other Asus server. May be this is a HDD issue?

Last edited:

k1lerbee

Jan 24, 2021
It's quite weird. I got this issue again (may be different - sometimes it end up with 4 beep) after go to the DC and replace the new HDD . The first time I boot up it show up Windows normally. After reset the server the issue happened again and again . When I go back to home and switched back to the old HDD, this issue gone.

The new HDD works good on other Asus server. May be this is a HDD issue?
I now it's an old thread but did you resolve the issue?

I have similar issue with 5 beeps and 1 long beep happening from time to time.
I mostly get it after doing a prime95 stress test. Thought it was a overheat issue but replaced the coolers with beefy hyper 212 and my max temp is only 62 degrees.
when this happen, I disconnect psu wait for 5 - 10 secs and turn on again and it boots fine.