Supermicro X9DRI-LN4F+ Mobo GPU's and power options

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jjdynomite

Aug 11, 2016
I want to use older server hardware to build a rig because I need at least 128gb or ram and it's cheaper than enthusiast grade options. I have a couple questions. I attached a picture of the X9DRI-LN4F+ motherboard and you can see that there are no snaps to snap the GPU in. Will I still be able to mount the motherboard vertically with GPU's installed in an E-ATX case, like this one ? There looks like there is a 24 pin and two six pin connectors. Can those be hooked into a standard enthusiast grade power supply with sufficient wattage? How do I know what CPU coolers I can use? I have seen with motherboard in a server with 128gb of ram for about $1,000 USD with dual E5 2670's on Ebay. Is this benchmark referring to the same version of that chip, I am confused by v2 and v3 etc. And is it for one or both CPU's?

Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DRi-LN4F+
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...=1&refRID=5GCHRR9VE763DV603Q80&tag=linus21-20
PassMark - Intel Xeon E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz - Price performance comparison

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
Any regular GPU will fit.

ATX power supply with regular 24 pin and the 8 pin CPU connectors (you need two) will work. Though it's sometimes hard to tell if a PSU has two 8 pin rails and 2+ GPU 6 pin connectors.

If you populate this board with only 1 CPU, only some of the PCI express slots will work.

This board is EEATX, about an inch larger than EATX in both directions. Make sure your case supports this size.

Some heatsinks work, some don't with supermicro boards. The main problem is usually not enough clearance for memory modules to the immediate surrounding CPU area, you may need to measure and guesstimate. Or, you could use supermicro's LGA2011 4U heatsink. They're very good.

This board supports only v1 and v2 iterations of the LGA2011 chips. v3/v4 will not work.

Last edited:

jjdynomite

Aug 11, 2016

ATX power supply with regular 24 pin and the 8 pin CPU connectors (you need two) will work. Though it's sometimes hard to tell if a PSU has two 8 pin rails and 2+ GPU 6 pin connectors.

If you populate this board with only 1 CPU, only some of the PCI express slots will work.

This board is EEATX, about an inch larger than EATX in both directions. Make sure your case supports this size.

Some heatsinks work, some don't with supermicro boards. The main problem is usually not enough clearance for memory modules to the immediate surrounding CPU area, you may need to measure and guesstimate. Or, you could use supermicro's LGA2011 4U heatsink. They're very good.

This board supports only v1 and v2 iterations of the LGA2011 chips. v2/v3/v4 will not work.
The last sentence you say it will support v2 but won't support v2. I am confused.
Does the ebay listing have the same processors that I linked to in the benchmark?

1U Supermicro Server X9DRI-LN4F+ 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 Eight Core 192GB RAM RAIL

patchate

Jul 3, 2016
The last sentence you say it will support v2 but won't support v2. I am confused.
Does the ebay listing have the same processors that I linked to in the benchmark?

1U Supermicro Server X9DRI-LN4F+ 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 Eight Core 192GB RAM RAIL
That listing is a preconfigured system fully assembled. Yes it will work, the CPU is most likely v1 variant.

The case is 1U though, you can't install GPU in there. Not tall enough. You will need to transplant the CPU/memory/board to another case with new heatsinks.

herby

Aug 18, 2013

It can be tricky to tell which ATX PSUs have two 8-pin 12v CPU connectors. For some reason that fairly basic information often isn't included in the specs. I know some Seasonic's and their rebranded models do, for example I just picked up a couple of SS-600ES PSU (cheap on eBay) with an 8-pin and 4+4 connectors.

Seasonic's S12G line in 650w and up, and M12II line 750w and up are supposed to have two. Also some XFX models in the TS, and XTR series. In any case I'd contact the manufacturer first to make sure, as these things sometimes change without notice. For example, I think the higher watt plain jane S12's used to have two but no longer do.

howardlong

Aug 20, 2016
Sorry, first post, so took a while to get registered before I could answer.

I have one of these boards in a 1U chassis (Supermicro 2 x E5-2670 Octa Core, 96GB RAM, X9DRI-LNF4+,CSE-815 1U server r620), and am successfully running a FirePro W4100 card, a low profile single slot card with four mini DP outputs, which will support up to three 4K monitors at 60p. It needs no external power.

It came with an x8 PCIe riser, but the card ix x16, so I had to nibble the end of the riser socket out carefully, and let half the card's connector hang over the end. In the end I used a soldering iron with an old discarded fine tip to do it as I was in danger of ruining some of the pins (I'm an electronics engineer by trade).

I also fitted an internal 500GB SSD for the OS slid under the power cable bundle, and four 120GB SSDs in the drive bay caddies (with appropriate 3.5" adapters).

I did look at an MSI GTX 750Ti model N750TI-2GD5TLP which advertises as single slot and no external power, but it overhangs inside. They weren't in stock either when I was looking, so I went for the W4100. As far as I can see, even with a W4100 there's barely 1/10" clearance to the empty PCIe slots on the mobo, so I can't reasonably see the GTX 750Ti fitting in.

For good measure, as the mobo only support USB2.0, I also added a small USB3.0 PCIe board on a flexible riser situated inside, and cut a slot in the W4100 plate for a couple of USB3.0 extension cables.

vanfront

Jun 5, 2020
I've been researching how to supply more power to Fusion-IO ioDrive2 Duo cards in a X9DRi-LN4F+. I couldn't find any reasonable information in the mobo's manual, so turned to Supermicro's support. Sharing my findings:

Q1: I can't find any information regarding what power (watts) the individual PCIe slots supply to add-on cards. I've installed two fusion-IO ioDrive2 Duo 1.2 TB cards into Slot 3 and Slot 4. These cards have a default limit of 25 Watts, but can be reconfigured to up to 75 Watts of power supply from the PCIe slot. I'd like to know what's the limit of this motherboard and whether there are any BIOS settings affecting it.

Their support quickly responded:

We follow PCIe spec.

Each slot can provide up to 25W if a GPU is used it can provide 75W this is only for GPU's no other device can get this much power.

There are no bios settings related to PCIe slot power delivery
Q2: So the motherboard does recognize what type of card is in the slot, and would refuse providing more power to a FusioIO drive? Or does it depend on the actual need of the card? Thanks for clarifying.

The card needs to report itself as a GPU only then will 75W be enabled,. the bios does detect the type of card.