Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ error beep codes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Agremlin

May 3, 2020
Just put together a sm X9DRI-LN4F+ with single cpu and 2x ram dimms.

Only installed 1x v1 cpu, 2x matching ram dimms pulled from working system and vga cable to monitor.

On power on cpu fan runs, i get two beeps and a 30 sec pause then two beeps and a 10 sec pause and a bip.

Manual only mentions 5 short +1 long beep (mem eror), 5 beeps (con in/out error) or 1 beep (ready to boot).

My system displays different beep codes as above. No video out. Tried different ram, next stage i guess is take board out of case and try on bench.

Found some more error codes here:

And here:

But none seem to match beep pattern i get (did test with no ram and get 5+1 beeps; with one dimm 2 beeps then 2 bips followed by 30 sec pause the 2 beeps pause then 1 bip; 2 dimms 2 beep 30 sec pause then 2 beep then 1 bip).

I tried 3 x different sets of ram, all work on another system.

Maybe I need a AMI debug rx tool, but could be several weeks before i can source one via international post

Last edited:

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
I am troubleshooting one of these at the moment - built the new cluster, was fine for 48h then slowed to 5% of performance and won't reboot (B2 POST code - and now, after 8h off, BA). Can you get to the BMC to see the POST Snooping page?

Does it power itself off after the beeping? CPU known good too? Perhaps try for a BIOS emergency recovery mode similar to, or the same as this one on Server Overflow?

Last edited:
Reactions: Agremlin

Agremlin

May 3, 2020
I Pulled out the board and put it on a bench. Swapped cpu for known good one. Reset CMOS, after powering on, system powered off then on, got two beep codes, no video/post. After power off then power on got two beeps, 10 sec pause then a bip. Still no video/post. System stays on after beeps.

I managed to connect to IPMI and documented the process here: SumperMicro IPMI when a board wont post

Now that I can get to the Supermicro login page I have found the default user: ADMIN password: ADMIN login does not work... and I cant work out how to reset to default without being able to run the ipmi utility from the motherboard. Tried resetting CMOS a few times but this doesn't reset the IPMI login password. Next step is to try BIOS emergency recovery.

Last edited: