SuperMicro X9DRI-LN4F+4 ACPI_BIOS_ERROR with Windows Server 2012 R2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
Hi All,

I've seen older threads where this issue was supposedly resolved with updated firmware but I've had no luck getting WinPE to boot on this board.

Currently have the latest versions of firmware installed: IPMI (3.48) BIOS (3.2).

I've been able to install Proxmox and CoreOS with minimal troubles.

Contacted Supermicro support and they asked me to re-flash the BIOS while adjusting the JPME1 and JPME2 jumpers, I followed this procedure:
  1. Power off system, disconnect power cables, wait for all lights on the motherboard to power off.
  2. Change JPME1 and JMPE2 to pins 2&3. Power on server, boot from rufus created boot media in BIOS mode (non-UEFI).
  3. Run the AMI BIOS update (ami.bat X9DR3P5.304)
  4. Once the BIOS update shows complete, pull the power cables from the server, wait for all the lights on the motherboard to power off. Change JPME1 and JPME2 to pins 1&2. Remove CMOS battery and use a screwdriver to connect the circuit on the CMOS reset pad.
  5. Power server on, enter BIOS, load optimized defaults, save configuration and reset.
  6. Boot off the ISO attached to the IPMI Virtual CDROM and attempt install.
Problem continues to persist afterwards.

Next support asked me to remove the memory from the system and test with 1 stick at a time. I attempted with a handful of combinations and 2x sticks at a time in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_E1. No difference.

Any other ideas?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I've seen older threads where this issue was supposedly resolved with updated firmware but I've had no luck getting WinPE to boot on this board.

Any other ideas?
The ACPI_BIOS_ERROR should display a number of numeric values. The first is essential; the rest may or may not be useful to people outside Supermicro. MSDN Article.

Another thing you could try is booting a recent FreeBSD image (CD/DVD or memory stick - the bootonly one should be fine for this).

Look at the console output for something like this:
Code:
ACPI BIOS Warning (bug): 32/64X length mismatch in FADT/Gpe0Block: 128/64 (20150515/tbfadt-644)
[Actual ACPI BIOS bug on X8DTH-iF.]

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
The ACPI_BIOS_ERROR should display a number of numeric values. The first is essential; the rest may or may not be useful to people outside Supermicro. MSDN Article.

Another thing you could try is booting a recent FreeBSD image (CD/DVD or memory stick - the bootonly one should be fine for this).

Look at the console output for something like this:
Code:
ACPI BIOS Warning (bug): 32/64X length mismatch in FADT/Gpe0Block: 128/64 (20150515/tbfadt-644)
[Actual ACPI BIOS bug on X8DTH-iF.]
I'll try FreeBSD to see if I can get any more info.

I believe in order to get a meaningful dump out of Windows I'll need to build a WinPE image and have it save memory dumps and /or provide more detailed crash messages. The ISO just posts the acpi error above.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
I booted a FreeBSD 10.3 UEFI image and went through dmesg & /var/log/messages and didn't see anything related to an ACPI bug.

Also successfully booted into a Windows 7 install ISO. Noticed on some of the older threads that they were able to install pre-Server 2012 R2 fine...

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
Also able to install ESXi. All memory/CPU/Disks appear as expected.

I think Supermicro has given up on me as well. Essentially just said, "Well you're on the latest BIOS! It should work no problem now."