Supermicro X9DRi-F - IPMI is partially broken after firmware upgrade

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sofakng

Apr 27, 2011
I upgraded the IPMI firmware on my X9DRi-F to v3.62 (latest?) hoping that it added HTML5 support but it doesn't.

However, I'm now having a problem with the IPMI console redirection.

The IPMI webpage opens fine and I can see the firmware revision (03.62) and the server health, etc. Shutdown and reboot works fine and I can also use the SOL (Serial over LAN?) without any problems. However, when I try to open the Console Redirection (Java Web Start) it errors:

1617221502824.png

The details indicate it can't load a resource:

1617221530934.png

Even stranger, if I try to load the resource through the website (http://192.168.10.230:80/libwin_x86_64__V1.0.5.jar) it says it doesn't exist. (404)

Can anybody help me out?

sofakng

Apr 27, 2011
I've installed IPMIView20 but it doesn't open at all. (ie. I run it from the start menu but nothing happens) I've also installed the full Java 8 64-bit installation for Windows but it didn't help.

However, I've been using a portable installation of the Java runtime (JRE 1.8.0_271) and using the javaws.exe (Java Web Start) command I've always been able to download launch.jlnp from the IPMI webpage and run it.

The problem started after I upgrade the IPMI firmware unfortunately. :(

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Install 32-bit Java. The x64 libraries are just missing from the firmware, but the x86 java works fine.

If you're using AdoptOpenJDK, you will want to install 32 bit Java 8 and Iced Tea x86_64 - they work fine together.

sofakng

Apr 27, 2011
Install 32-bit Java. The x64 libraries are just missing from the firmware, but the x86 java works fine.
Thank you so much! This appears to be the correct answer.

I've installed 32-bit Java and it works perfectly.

How did Supermicro forget to include the x64 libraries? The JLNP file (launch.jlnp) references it! (libwin_x86_64__V1.0.5.jar) Very frustrating and I would have never figured that out on my own so thank you so much.

Also, I'm not sure if anybody is interested, but you can actually download and run Java without installation (at least it works for IPMI). If you visit this page (https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase-jre8-downloads.html) you can download a gzipped tar (.tar.gz) file for Windows and just extract it to a directory on your hard drive. Afterwards, in the bin directory you can run javaws.exe to launch IPMI.

Thanks again so much for the help.