Supermicro X9DRi-F BMC woun't enable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@CQComber Since LM1 is presumably just there for good measure as a filter, and possibly a fuse so a simple wire or 0 ohm resistor will do too.
I didn't check that exact Inductor, but the few i grabbed of another dead dead board for similiar purposes around the bmc, had all a very low inductance, so low that my multi-meter can't measure it. So sub Nano-Henry.

CM1, will be part of the Filtering, since you gona diminish the previous existing filter with a wire or 0Ohm Resitor, you can leave it off in my opinion.

That should at least work.

CQComber

Nov 3, 2019
@CQComber Since LM1 is presumably just there for good measure as a filter, and possibly a fuse so a simple wire or 0 ohm resistor will do too.
I didn't check that exact Inductor, but the few i grabbed of another dead dead board for similiar purposes around the bmc, had all a very low inductance, so low that my multi-meter can't measure it. So sub Nano-Henry.

CM1, will be part of the Filtering, since you gona diminish the previous existing filter with a wire or 0Ohm Resitor, you can leave it off in my opinion.

That should at least work.
I did exactly what you/the other guy pictured, and just soldered between the pads. Sure enough, boot times are longer, and the bios lags with loading line by line like the old days of screen refresh, but the ipmi works! idk if the ipmi led is supposed to be flashing all the time though. Really, no joke. i was about to chalk it up to a loss, but this thread saved my bacon! I got this board for highway robbery at only 100 dollars, and the only thing wrong with it was that it was listed as bad onboard vga. Seriously, Thanks for this!

Now if only i could get cpu2 to not be 20 degrees hotter than its brother :p

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
idk if the ipmi led is supposed to be flashing all the time though.
it is, don't worry.
Sure enough, boot times are longer, and the bios lags with loading line by line like the old days of screen refresh,
It shouldn't be that slow. you might want to update teh bios and ipmi FW.
And do a cmos reset.
I got this board for highway robbery at only 100 dollars, and the only thing wrong with it was that it was listed as bad onboard vga
nice. Yea, no gpu because it had no clock ...

Nice that you got it working !

Reactions: CQComber

CQComber

Nov 3, 2019
it is, don't worry.

It shouldn't be that slow. you might want to update teh bios and ipmi FW.
And do a cmos reset.

nice. Yea, no gpu because it had no clock ...

Nice that you got it working !
I did a cmos reset, but that didnt fix the multiple boot loading things, i havent tried onboard video yet, but i suspect it still wont work. after talking to the ebay seller, they confirmed that the ipmi was updated already, and was working during their testing. the only thing that was not was the vga. they asked me to get pics, because to their knowledge the ipmi was fine. ipmi works now, and thats what i wanted. It was listed as bad vga so i knew that already.

Update: You were right about the vga thing. I popped in a vga cable and bam! video out from onboard. You reckon its ok to run the system without replacing the filter for 24/7 use? i just want to make sure im not going to run into issues down the line. I still cant believe i got this board for so cheap.

CQComber

Nov 3, 2019
I don't think you will have any problems.
Thanks for your help! everything seems to be working, thanks to your wisdom! I reflashed bios and cleared cmos but still getting like 3 or 4 post screens before booting to os. not a big deal, and probably a topic for a new thread. anywho, you take er easy.

alexv75

Mar 19, 2022
Thanks for the info, i had the same problem and fixed it with a wire between the pads. So strange, it doesn't seem that something was soldered there at any time.

Reactions: RageBone

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Thanks for the info, i had the same problem and fixed it with a wire between the pads. So strange, it doesn't seem that something was soldered there at any time.
Awesome that it works now. Congratz on getting it working.

Sometimes ripping off SMD parts (by accident) can make the Pads look like they were never populated.
At least until you look really closely and have some experience.