SuperMicro X9DRD-7LN4F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SirDatum

May 16, 2018
Any suggestions on a non-rackmount case for this board? The goal is for an Unraid build and would like to have at least 8-10 3.5" HD's.

SirDatum

May 16, 2018
I'm waiting for my mobo to arrive but the description said the current bios doesn't support V2 Ivy Bridge CPU's and needs to be flashed to support V2 CPU's. Will I need a V1 Sandy Bridge CPU to flash the bios?

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
I'm waiting for my mobo to arrive but the description said the current bios doesn't support V2 Ivy Bridge CPU's and needs to be flashed to support V2 CPU's. Will I need a V1 Sandy Bridge CPU to flash the bios?
Some SMC boards support what's known as OOB (Out-of-band) bios firmware upgrade, which would require a license but would let you upgrade. Not 100% sure if supported or not.
Having said that, a low end V1 cpu like the e5-2620 can be had for 5-10$ these days, so you've got an easy way out...
BTW - earlier in the thread there were some comments about issues with earlier board revisions and V2 cpus, so I'd check that as well if you still have issues...

rik3k

Feb 16, 2020
I had this exact issue and had to buy a cheap V1 to flash it. I was told this could also be done via IPMI but since these are used boards, credentials were changed from default and can't be reset unless you can boot it up...

$10 V1 is the way to go.

Reactions: SirDatum

ninjabilly

Oct 29, 2016
Has anyone experience a weird bios beep code of 5 short beeps followed by 3-4 weird beeps of different pitches. I tested the board without ram and got the ordinary 5 short beeps followed by 1 long beep. But still no video or with or without the jumper enabled. The board only has x8 pcie so an external GPU without some sort of modification is out of the question.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Not sure of the beep codes but there are pcie x1 video cards for about $10-15.
Can you use IPMI to verify you have the current version of BIOS and IPMI FW?

ninjabilly

Oct 29, 2016
Can't even access it tried a cmos reset via contact pads and also by removing the battery and leaving it unplugged. I think the board is just dead.