Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F for $130+shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
was thinking of getting one and then seeing that all the pcie slots are x8 and they are not even open ended... real turn off since that means you can't install most video cards which have full size x16 ..... oh well....

Last edited:

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
was thinking of getting one and then seeing that all the pcie slots are x8 and they are not even open ended... real turn off since that means you can't install most video cards which have full size x16 ..... oh well....
You could theoretically use a PCIe 8x to 16x riser cable, no?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
You could theoretically use a PCIe 8x to 16x riser cable, no?
Theorectically... but how are you going to fit that into most cases? the MB pcie slots would already be in the way at the openings for the expansion slots in the back of the case..... so you then have to do a custom case..... just too much work...

Now if there's a real sharp and slim cutter i can buy to cut out the end of the pcie slots to make them open ended, then that would be good ;)

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
Theorectically... but how are you going to fit that into most cases? the MB pcie slots would already be in the way at the openings for the expansion slots in the back of the case..... so you then have to do a custom case..... just too much work...

Now if there's a real sharp and slim cutter i can buy to cut out the end of the pcie slots to make them open ended, then that would be good ;)
Dremel? :p

I know some dekstop case have two pci opening on the back to use with a riser.

Reactions: cactus

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
It looks like this is down to $70 now but it's listed as "for parts or not working"?

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
I bought two of the original deal, arrived with passive heatsinks, a BIOS password, and an IPMI config/password. Both work great.

Seller said they originally had over 100 of them

Reactions: dontwanna

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
I have my board up and running and it's seriously CLEAN!! The only way that I could tell it was used was with a magnifying glass and looking at the motherboard mounting holes that were slightly scuffed. The board had to have been in a seriously clean DC because 1. the BIOS was passworded and 2. the reset CMOS jumper was completely missing. I took a motherboard standoff and flipped it upside down and simply laid it on top of the two solder spots, where the jumper should have been, and that did the trick.

Reactions: dontwanna

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
So you're saying these don't come from the factory with a jumper? The motherboard manual states there is supposed to be one thou.
That’s what I found yesterday when working through the bios password, no jumper, short the contacts

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
i believe you can reset the bios password by updating it thru usb drive. it can be reset to the default one.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
when I clear the password on these I just use the clear cmos "pads" on the board. you bridge them together with a metal object to short it.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
oh damn, you're right on that point. That's what I get for looking at the pdf on the phone and not actually reading the descriptions =/

Anyone have recommendations on a solid heatsink for this board as the narrow ILM has a very limited selection from SM. The SNK-P0048PS looks rather cheap and all aluminum and the SNK-P0048AP4 is a screamer for sure @ 52db. There is also the SNK-P0057PS that says "high performance" but still looks like an aluminum block but I can get a 1U copper block from intel that'll fit.

I'm putting this into is an SC216 so it has to be 2U or smaller and even then the shroud isn't meant for this motherboard layout so it's kinda sketchy sitting in the case on some 1U copper blocks right now.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
i just replace the heatsink fan of SNK-P0048AP4 with noctua one, it's much quiet, but just not as much airflow as the sm one.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
i just replacement the heatsink fan of SNK-P0048AP4 with noctua one, it's much quiet, but just not as much airflow as the sm one.
I was thinking a long those same lines but the heatsink is ~$30 + Noctua fan would wind up being ~$45 per CPU. The case fans + shroud combo would be the most cost efficient as 2 x 1U copper blocks from Intel are about $25 for the pair.

Are you running case fans with your setup?

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
I was thinking a long those same lines but the heatsink is ~$30 + Noctua fan would wind up being ~$45 per CPU. The case fans + shroud combo would be the most cost efficient as 2 x 1U copper blocks from Intel are about $25 for the pair.

Are you running case fans with your setup?
Yes. I m currently using it in the XL R2 case, there is a lot of room for airflow and enough case fans to cool it down.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
the SNK-P0048AP4 isn't that loud when you set the fan profile to acoustic/low-noise/standard in ipmi.