Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F for $130+shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
This is a nice NAS build motherboard, with onboard SAS2308 that can easily be flashed with IT mode firmware.

Super Micro X9DRD-7LN4F 2x Xeon CPU Motherboard Heatsink & I/O SHIELD 672042106318 | eBay

The board layout and PCIe slots are not great for long PCIe cards or GPUs; so not a good choice for a workstation. Rev in the photos appear to be 1.02, which should support Ivy Bridge v2 CPUs; but might want to confirm with seller that you will get a rev 1.02.

I don't know this seller, but my only hesitation is the seller: the photos show one of the heatsinks (that will be included) installed backwards; indicating that their technicians may not know what they are doing. And secondly, the seller has a few negative feedbacks indicating similarly, so YMMV with this seller. BUT, the price is really nice so might be worth the risk and you have buyer protection.

Reactions: nthu9280

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I believe I might know the seller, I don't think I had any issues with him. Bought the same boards I believe. But YMMV ofc.

These would go great with the E5-2696 v2 cpus I'm selling in the FS section :D

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
must resist... That's a great board. The dynatron heat sinks are worth about $25+ea making the net cost of the board $80 for someone who needs the heat sinks for their build.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
must resist... That's a great board. The dynatron heat sinks are worth about $25+ea making the net cost of the board $80 for someone who needs the heat sinks for their build.
Well, if they sell. No one really buys them for 25 as they're kind of loud, the Supermicro ones are better and if you need them in pairs or in bulk you can usually BO them for less than 25.

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
The dynatron heat sinks are worth about $25+ea making the net cost of the board $80 for someone who needs the heat sinks for their build.
If anyone is looking for those heatsinks let me know, I have a pair with brackets for a narrow ILM. I just havent created a thread because i'm waiting on a bunch of stuff to come in, and i'll have a bunch of stuff to get rid of. Just be aware that the fans on them are very loud iirc. Also it is kind of funny that the one of the heatsinks in OPs ebay post is backwards

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
BTW, I found this through an alert i setup on eBay. In that message, it shows the seller originally listed this for $115. I think they then later changed the price. Who knows, if the thought crossed their mind once, they may take an offer if you private message them and ask gently?

dontwanna

Dec 22, 2016
BTW, I found this through an alert i setup on eBay. In that message, it shows the seller originally listed this for $115. I think they then later changed the price. Who knows, if the thought crossed their mind once, they may take an offer if you private message them and ask gently?
Yep, I was the one that bought two of those from that listing at $115 each. They increased the price to $130 after that. And they just listed the same boards without heatsinks at $90. I just couldn't resist and ordered two more. :)

Now I need to find those narrow ILM coolers though. I build most of these systems in 4U and usually install quiet and good performing desktop coolers from zalman or thermalright etc, but looks like there's a lot less options for narrow ILM.

Last edited:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Yep, I was the one that bought two of those from that listing at $115 each. They increased the price to $130 after that. And they just listed the same boards without heatsinks at $90. I just couldn't resist and ordered two more. :)

Now I need to find those narrow ILM coolers though. I build most of these systems in 4U and usually install quiet and good performing desktop coolers from zalman or thermalright etc, but looks like there's a lot less options for narrow ILM.
Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 comes with both brackets (new ones) and it's nearly silent. Used may be listed with one or the other. Not sure how it compares with the other active CPU coolers noise wise.

Reactions: dontwanna

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
Bought one.... sigh

Anyone knows a good tower case for it? I wanted to go with a Fractal Design XL R2, but apparently the standoff mounts does not match the motherboard. Another options would be the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, but I am worried about the noise of that case with 6 spinners in it...

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
i am currently using the XL R2 with 14 drives. It's working fine with all the matching standoff and it's very quiet.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
i am currently using the XL R2 with 14 drives. It's working fine with all the matching standoff and it's very quiet.
Thanks :) What cooler do you use? The active supermicro seems to sell fast on ebay right now, I was wondering if a noctua is really needed for silence with this case.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Shame this guy listed these with coolers first, as I didn't want them and no one buys them :mad:

dontwanna

Dec 22, 2016
I mean i'll sell them for $30 together shipped lol
I'd totally get them for $30 from you, but since I'm not in US - I'll then have to pay the mail forwarder even more than $30 for re-shipping them to me, so the total price will be $60+.. and I can probably find them locally for less than that. But for anyone in the US it is a good deal!

Last edited:

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
price is quite up and down, now it's @ $99 and more than 10 available.