Supermicro X9DAi: reboot loop (OH)/Fan Fail LED

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jadran

Feb 27, 2013
Supermicro has been quite willing to work with the enthusiast sector in regards to their boards. Both in terms of microcode and overclocking ability. You never know!
Looks like microcode support for ES chips is there in latest bios.
Must be something else then...

giovaniluigi

Aug 30, 2013
I Need the ROM file too!

Hey, I just bought my X9DAi and 2 ES Xeons.

I'm having the same issue of reboot loop.

Please, can you send me the ROM to make it work with ES CPUs ?

I tried to find on website indicated but I couldn't find for X9DAi. Also checked on FTP but there is a little bit confuse...
On Supermicro website the current version is _805... so I was wondering if there is a _813 version.

Thanks in advance.

f1r31c3r

Nov 13, 2013
Hi all.

Come across this post last night when i was having the same issue. Before i get stuck in hardcore to fix something i always look on a google search to see if others had the same problem, it might just save me a heap load of time.

This is me giving some back to hopefully help others.

I fixed my reboot loop last night, as odd as this is going to sound it worked for me.

I had almost given up and was considereing firing up the test gear to find out what was going on when i had a thought.

I disconected the HDD front panel LED and the case Reset button. It worked and fired up, 24 hours later and 4 restarts/power downs and no problems what so ever.

I am using Hynix memory and Xeon 2620's so my error is not going to be relevant to ES(Engineering Sample) Xeons.

You should not be using these ES chips for proper use anyway. They can corrupt your data due to design and or manufacture faults. They are only used as a sample during production so they dont require everything to work 100%

SuperMicro dont list the current(I) or even Voltage ratings for case LED's nor do any other manufacturer that i have seen so it is hard to buy replacement or moded parts for a case. That said i love the bios post output on these supermicro boards. it can really speed up diagnosing a fault.

So yea, i fixed my problem by disconecting the HDD LED and Reset switch. It always seemed to be running much brighter than other LED's so something was wrong. It is hard to test for a intermitent switch failure as you kind of need it to fail to test it so when it works you think its ok then a month later it gives you the run around. My reset switch currently tests ok but seen as it all works while both reset and HDD led are disconected I am happy to leave it at that.

Hope it helped someone else, stupid and simple i know but that is what seems my fault was.

Jesse

Jun 17, 2014
I made the mistake of purchasing this X9DAI board and I can't post.

When I power it on, there is a built in speaker that gives no error beeps and I plug an external speaker in pins JD1 and it too gives no error code beeps. The USB ports get no power so I cannot use the bios recovery method to try and write the older v1.0 bios. Also, the keyboard does not get any power. The only thing that gets power when I turn it on is the fan on the CPU.

I have tried two different Seasonic 700W power supplies both with two 8pin connectors with no luck. I've tried the older e5-2650(ES) cpu and the newer e5-2650v2 cpu . The older one just power cycles in a loop, (probably no microcode in current bios) and the newer v2 one just stays on with no beeps or video. I have access to ecc / non-ecc ram but I am leaving it out to try and get the beep codes from the speaker first.
With the ram inside, the motherboard has the same behaviour.

I'm thinking of building that SPI cable to flash the BIOS back to 1.0 and maybe i will get lucky, but this lack of speaker beep codes is discouraging.

Jesse

Jun 17, 2014
Hmm everyone around here has V2 versions of the i7 and Xeon E5 cpu's. I will try to find a cheap e5-2609 (M0/M1) stepping CPU online.

Does anyone else have experience flashing with an rayer_SPI style cable like th Jadran guy did earlier in this thread? I'm trying to locate the SPI pins on this X9DAI motherboard.. I found the manual here http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C606_602/MNL-1275.pdf and I think it might be unlabelled? or maybe it's the SGPI interface on page 2-32 ?? I wish people would be more detailed with their solutions. I guess they forget when they are too excited that they finally got it working.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Few months back, I had to downgrade my ASUS motherboard, I did some research and needed a bios chip programmer.
I search on Ebay, SPI programmer would costed around $15 to $20 on Ebay.
I end up not needing it, I used "hot plug" method to program the ASUS bios chip.

Jesse

Jun 17, 2014
well yeah if the bios chips weren't soldered onto the board like the good old days, I would just "hot flash" the bios. I used to do this all the time with the old "pc-chips" motherboards. Not possible now.

I wish I could find something on ebay that would fit over the bios chip and make the proper contacts without desoldering with a propane torch or whatever.