Supermicro X9DAi 3 of 8 RAM channels bad?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ptyork

Jul 12, 2021
So I just got this mobo from eBay. I'm already irked because the seller sold it as an "open box" X9DRI-F-O. Shipped a USED DAi in a box from the DRI completely flopping around in the box with no packaging or anti-static bag. So it's a workstation board...no IPMI...no VGA. BUT, I've been fighting to get a 2011 system up with bad Intel mobos for over a month, so I decide to just roll with it and give it a shot. Fine.

Seems OK at first. I get it up with 2 sticks of RAM. Cool. Order 6 more. Add 2. Doesn't post. I thought Intel boards were bad, but DANG. It just hangs with no beep codes or blink codes or anything. Just nada. Anyway, a dozen swaperoos later and this is the best I can get.

20210731_194738630_iOS.jpg

Apparently channels B, C & D are not posting if RAM is installed. So a few questions:

1) Are there any "easy" culprits that could be causing this behavior? I've checked external causes like shorts. I've not checked CPU pins. I glanced at them before putting the CPU in initially, but didn't look too closely. Really hoping not to...

2) How much difference is this going to make in terms of performance? CPU 1 is 32 GB single channel and CPU 2 is 96GB quad, I guess. Odd, but how bad? Note that I'm running Proxmox, so this has a number of VMs. Home server stuff (TrueNAS, Plex, etc.) and a lot of other things I experiment with for "fun."

3) I paid around $200 for an X9DRi and got this. Even had to buy a cheapie GPU to get going. Assuming I'm stuck with this memory configuration, how much would you ask the seller to refund?

Thanks!

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015

ptyork

Jul 12, 2021
Funny. Those <$200 listings didn't exist 2-to-6 weeks ago. I think there must've been a run on those boards. Probably related to some kind of mining. I can't use the LN4F given the funky size and lack of V2 support, but even with the shipping that DRi listing you posted is a good deal. Thanks.