Supermicro X8ST3-F Please help-Did I order the Wrong Memory?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rst6616

Mar 13, 2011
This is my first post. I am a total novice planning on using ZFSguru for a home storage build.
After I just ordered 3 sticks (4gig each stick total 12gig) un-buffered ECC memory(Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK3/12G) for the above motherboard, I noticed an alarming note in the recent article of "The Big WHS: February 2011 Update".

In this build, it appears that they list the what I think is the exact same memory but I am not 100% sure.

In this article they state:
"Below see a picture of what 24GB (and hundreds of dollars) worth of incompatible RAM looks like. Bottom line, always check the hardware compatibility lists."

I wanted to use 4gig sticks of ram rather than the 2gig sticks to maximize future ram.

If this is the same ram as shown in this article, can you please help me from making the same mistake?

Thanks

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The memory that I used in that picture was actually Mac Pro DDR3 RAM that I picked up fairly inexpensively and meant for 5500 and 5520 chip sets (if you look at the DP reviews like the dual E5606 benchmarks posted today) you will see the DRAM in that platform.) The actual memory used now in the X8ST3-F is the Kingston memory.

rst6616

Mar 13, 2011
The memory that I used in that picture was actually Mac Pro DDR3 RAM that I picked up fairly inexpensively and meant for 5500 and 5520 chip sets (if you look at the DP reviews like the dual E5606 benchmarks posted today) you will see the DRAM in that platform.) The actual memory used now in the X8ST3-F is the Kingston memory.
Patrick, is the working Kingston memory you now use the exact same memory as I ordered as shown in my 1st post? Knowing this will really give me relief.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I use those same sticks, just in 3x 8GB kits instead of 2x 12GB kits. As nilsga mentioned, the Kingston compatibility lists the board and is a really good resource.

rst6616

Mar 13, 2011
Thanks you Patrick & nilsga for your responses. Much appreciated. I have an awful lot to learn about and it is great to receive advise from people who care.