Supermicro X8SIL-F and Raid Card problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Shftup

Mar 17, 2011
Hey guys, I was using a Supermicro X8SIL-F(i3-530, 2GB ram) for a 8TB WHS setup.

I decided to move to 2008r2 and a Raid card and 4 SAS HP HDDS.

I found a OEM rocketraid 2640x4, installed the card and SAS HDD's

System boots up fine, but i cant get into the raid card bios to setup the raid then load server 2008r2.
The 2008r2 disk goes to load the OS, cant find the disk, I load the raid card drivers, it sees all 4 SAS hdds, but I cant load the OS because the driver are not loaded on the raid card bios.
I am new to raid, but from what I read, I should be able to enter the raid card bios, setup the type of raid, then windows sees the partion?

any thoughts - i checked all the mobo bios settings, couldnt find anything to help me.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Disclaimer: I have no experience with Highpoint cards.

When you say it boots fine, is that into the OS or does it post fine? Does the card have an initialization screen/ ability to go into the card's BIOS pre-OS boot? The X8SIL-F IIRC has some option rom/ interrupt capture settings you may want to play with.

Shftup

Mar 17, 2011
Patrick, thats the problem i cannot acces the card's bios. hence i cant load an array to put the OS on.
I can load win2008, then load the drivers for the card, it works fine then, but I can load the OS on the card.
On the bios front, I cant find this option. I called SM tech support, fast, but no help. They said no bios option should stop the raid card bios from coming up.

Patrick, do you have any SAS cards that you wanna sell>>?lol
Seriously though, I think i got a bad raid card, gona rma it. I saw that that the highpoint 2680sgl is on sale - does 2 mini 8077 to 8 SAS HDD's.
Right now i have 4 HP 2.0 SAS 15k drives that I want to use for win2008r2 O/S and perhaps 4 more later on for raid 0 scratch disk to unrar.
Is this card good for the price ~100. Its still software, but for the price i should be able to saturate X4 pci slot and still be ahead instead of buying a h/w raid card?

thoughts?
thanks

Last edited:

Shftup

Mar 17, 2011
Hey Patrick I sent you a PM

also>

I was doing some reading and the highpoint rocketraid card 2640 is a hardware assisted product. I believe the raid card uses the intel raid chipset as its hardware assist.

Under the support OS:

http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C7_X8.cfm

I am installing windows server 2008r2 X64 using AHCI, the legend says that number 4 – Sata (w/o Raid, IDE enhance mode) -> What does this mean?

Should I be installing OS differently? Just want to make sure.

Thanks

Last edited: