SuperMicro X8SIA-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
I've just purchased a Supermicro X8SIA-F off eBay (new) to replace my Intel mobo. And as usual, I'm already worried if I've made a mistake...

Some threads on here have mentioned a limit of 2 cards able to pass-through with ESXi, due to a possible bridge chip?
Is this certain? I intended to pass 3 M1015's to SE11

I've also read in a few places that there are VM startup and sometimes PSOD issues with ESXi / SE11 - which usually seem to involve the M1015

Can anyone relieve my worries :confused:

jbraband

Feb 23, 2011
regardless of the bridge chip, ESXi will only allow you to passthrough two PCI devices anyways. it could be two HBAs, two NICs, or one of each, etc...

so the only limitation the bridge puts on you is not being able to pass a third and fourth PCI device to a different VM.

I'm not sure, but I think those PCI slots behind the bridge can be used for host related PCI devices such as NICs used as uplinks to virtual switches. but it'd be better to get confirmation from someone with direct experience with that.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
As far as I can see that would only allow me to pass through Slot #6 and #2 ?
*bangs head against wall*
I have this board and tested it extensively with ESCi. I can confirm:

ESXi will not support PCIe passthrough through a bridge.
You can also pass through the PCIe x1 slots 3 & 7.
Therefore, you can pass through slots 2, 3, 6 & 7 but not 4 & 5.

Although ESXi documentation states that you can only pass through a single PCIe to any VM, I have confirmed that this is not true and that you can pass through at least 4 PCIe slots. For you, if you are looking to do storage without an expander, the PCIe x1 slots might not be very interesting but they can be passed through if you need to.

jbraband

Feb 23, 2011
huh, i stand corrected. i like it when i'm wrong such that I now have more options by passing up to 4 PCIe devices to a VM. thanks PigLover!