supermicro X8SI6-F discontinued?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

drake3

Feb 11, 2011
I ordered two of these boards a week apart. The first one came in after a week. My channel reseller were showing them out of stock. The second one is still back ordered and I see newegg has deactivated them from their site.

SM still lists them on their website. Have they been discontinued?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Seems highly unlikely that they would have discontinued it. The entire X8SIx-x series is essentially the same platform with different options, and the x34xx Xeons are still considered active products. SuperMicro usually guarantees supply for their OEM customers for 3-4 years from manufacture start. Can't see it being EOL'd this early.

Probably just a supply issue. It will clear up soon. Newegg "deactivates" on supply chain gaps, so that is not an indicator (yet).

drake3

Feb 11, 2011
Whew... That makes me feel better. I was hoping I could get one of these boards for a new server at home instead of having to go and buy an alternative and then have to shell out for an LSI SAS2008 controller separately.

Glad to know - Thanks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Asked Supermicro, word is the X8SI6-F is not discontinued. Seems like a supply issue.

BigP

Mar 30, 2011
East Coast
I received mine from Provantage (said it was a special order or something silly) in about 7 business days. (End of Feb 2011)

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
^ Yes all Provantage really does is drop ships from distributors like Ingram Micro, they're in New Jersey and so what they actually stock themselves is very little.

If anyone wants a newish X8SI6 send a PM, I've got too many motherboards now, from back when I couldn't decide which board to get and was buying everything. I would keep the X8SI6 were I not also swimming in SAS2008 cards.

Last edited:

Fasterfour

Jun 29, 2011
With the X8SI6 can you passthrough the LSI2008 controller with ESXi? I would assume that it is handled just like a controller in a PCIe slot. Can anyone confirm?