Supermicro X8DTU-6TF+ IT mode possible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have a message to Supermicro tech support, but I doubt I'll hear back until Monday since I didn't hear back today. Hoping someone here might know so I can make a decision sooner than later.

The X8DTU-6TF+ motherboard has an on-board LSI/Broadcom 2108 chipset SAS controller with 2x SFF-8087 connectors. I'm wondering if this chipset can be used in IT mode so I can use it for ZFS? I'm seeing conflicting information online (there's a page on STH says it's possible, other places say it's not).

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I have a message to Supermicro tech support, but I doubt I'll hear back until Monday since I didn't hear back today. Hoping someone here might know so I can make a decision sooner than later.

The X8DTU-6TF+ motherboard has an on-board LSI/Broadcom 2108 chipset SAS controller with 2x SFF-8087 connectors. I'm wondering if this chipset can be used in IT mode so I can use it for ZFS? I'm seeing conflicting information online (there's a page on STH says it's possible, other places say it's not).
Question...Is it worth the effort and risk to your data to force a raid controller which was not designed to be a HBA work in IT mode, when a real LSI HBA 9201-8i can be sourced for cheap..for 40USD on ebay?

You can generally physically turn onboard controllers off on Supermicro boards as required.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Question...Is it worth the effort and risk to your data to force a raid controller which was not designed to be a HBA work in IT mode, when a real LSI HBA 9201-8i can be sourced for cheap..for 40USD on ebay?

You can generally physically turn onboard controllers off on Supermicro boards as required.
I don't know what risk you are referring to. Sorry, don't understand.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I don't know what risk you are referring to. Sorry, don't understand.
A LSI HBA 9201-8i is designed for software like ZFS,
the 2108 is a hardware raid controller, You may or may not get it successfully flash it to HBA mode, the SM FTP site does not show any firmware for IT mode option..although it does appear that a few folks have successfully forced them to work like HBA, my point why bother for the sake of 40USD, when the time you have an issue, it will add another level of complexity to fault finding, compared to using theh 9201-8i which is Fit for Purpose.
ftp://www.supermicro.com.tw/driver/SAS/LSI/2108/

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
A LSI HBA 9201-8i is designed for software like ZFS,
the 2108 is a hardware raid controller, You may or may not get it successfully flash it to HBA mode, the SM FTP site does not show any firmware for IT mode option..although it does appear that a few folks have successfully forced them to work like HBA, my point why bother for the sake of 40USD, when the time you have an issue, it will add another level of complexity to fault finding, compared to using theh 9201-8i which is Fit for Purpose.
ftp://www.supermicro.com.tw/driver/SAS/LSI/2108/
When you say "it does appear that a few folks have successfully forced them to work like HBA", can you share specific references?

I'm hoping to hear from folks who have actually tried, and succeeded or failed. I've done my own searching online, and found mentions of possible success or cautionary tales, but none with actual details of the success or failure.

One reference I found was to use MegaCLI tool to enable "JBOD" mode on the MegaRAID firmware; but not much detail if it was specific to the SAS 2108 chipset or not.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
When you say "it does appear that a few folks have successfully forced them to work like HBA", can you share specific references?

I'm hoping to hear from folks who have actually tried, and succeeded or failed. I've done my own searching online, and found mentions of possible success or cautionary tales, but none with actual details of the success or failure.

One reference I found was to use MegaCLI tool to enable "JBOD" mode on the MegaRAID firmware; but not much detail if it was specific to the SAS 2108 chipset or not.
Looks like you answered your own questions. Good Luck.