Supermicro X8 motherboard and NVME

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

matkisson

Apr 11, 2017
I am finally getting my NAS operational and was wondering if anyone had any luck with NVME SSDs working on that generation of boards. The 12 bay 2U chassis has 7 low profile expansion slots.

As an alternative, can anyone recommend a goot PCI slot to 2.5 inch drive adapter or a PCI Express card that takes dual m.2 SATA SSDs.

The catch: Ebay or Amazon preferably.

Thanks in advance!

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
what's your use case? what are your requirements in terms of function, cost, and/or performance?

most of the NVME stuff is PCI-E 3.0, while your X8 system is PCI-E 2.0 only ... seems like a waste when you can probably get cheaper solutions that were made for PCI-E 2.0 systems...

matkisson

Apr 11, 2017
The case is a CSE-216. I know that i wont get the full pcie 3.0 speed, i dont plan on using a 960. The m.2 would be used for cache and boot. Alternatively I would use a 2.5 SSD. There are 2 expansion ports populated with PCI slots on the MB. Those slots I would prefer having 2.5 SSDs in on a bracket.

In terms of requirements, I just want a storage solution that can occupy the 2 PCI expansion slots (chassis, not motherboard slots) or confirmation that a NVME can be used as a boot drive.