Supermicro X11SSQ-L w/G4560 & 8GB RAM - $99 Shipped (Ebay Offer)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
ACK, doggoneit. :p

Gonna sleep on it. If this board had ipmi and dual NIc I'd be all over it but without these and no sound, Not so sure what I could use this for. A NAS maybe but I'd prefer EEC then. I just bought to of the itx boards I posted in another thread so I might sit this one out. Then again, maybe not.... :confused:

Definitely no IPMI and no dual NIC, and no rear panel audio jacks. But, looking at the pictures, the sound chip and front panel audio header are there on the board. I have no idea if they are live, but they look like they are there.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Definitely no IPMI and no dual NIC, and no rear panel audio jacks. But, looking at the pictures, the sound chip and front panel audio header are there on the board. I have no idea if they are live, but they look like they are there.
The SM page says it has audio and the pic shows audio jacks. This must be some sort of specialty board.

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
Anyone running one of these and can give some baseline power draw figures? Or with whatever you have in it for that matter?
Thanks!

tonkyhonk

Feb 3, 2021
I'd hate for you to miss out ;) . So, I wanted to make sure you knew that they have more!

They originally had stock of these on two different, but as far as I could tell, identical listings. On one they lowered the price and the other they didn't. That one is still showing $99. But, if they were willing to take $45 +shipping for the same thing on another listing.......

This way you can still get yourself a half dozen....or 52.

Supermicro X11SSQ-L-DE05B Embedded Intel G4560 Chip plus 8GB 2400mhz RAM 974575260957 | eBay
Deaded again, somebody sent a best offer for 49. Back to the drawing board for a HTPC/pfsense dual duty box!

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
The SM page says it has audio and the pic shows audio jacks. This must be some sort of specialty board.
Yeah, I’d assumed that the DEO5B suffix on the model number denoted some sort of customization. The lack of audio wasn’t much of an issue for me, since so many GPUs have their own audio they can push through HDMI along with the video.

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
It's late for this deal, but just in case they find more stock or someone else stumbles on the thread for the board and CPU...

Anybody know how loud the stock cooler is?
I’ll know more when I get it, but it looks to be a Cooljag DEN-7, which I know from experience isn’t bad at idle, but gets loud when it spins up (tops out at 51db per the spec sheet). It’s supposed to be rated for 65w and this CPU has a TDP of 54, so there’s a bit of headroom. I know I won’t be hitting this CPU super hard though, so I planned on setting the fan curve to “Optimal” , throwing a Noctua noise reducer on the cable, and crossing my fingers.
Can confirm what Markess stated. It sounds like a jet engine for a few seconds when it first boots spinning at ~6000 (what the BIOS reported), but drops quickly to almost inaudible once it settles down. Anything over about 3000 RPMs was where I could start noticing it inside a salvaged ThinkCentre m81 SFF case. However I couldn't get it to need to go that fast. Running Prime95 for about 15 minutes, I couldn't get the supplied cooler/fan over about 2000 RPM and temp 61C.

Rear audio works, it just needs the 5 port audio + optical out. I transplanted a module from a random old motherboard with a bit of soldering iron surgery. Basic functionality sounds to work fine, though I didn't actually test the optical out. It was glowing red though.

I thought about attempting to solder a m.2 slot to the board to see if that functionality is alive, but the solder pad pitch is so fine. Not sure I want to practice micro soldering and fry the board or chip, when I can just use an adapter card in the x4 slot for the same performance.

Anyone running one of these and can give some baseline power draw figures? Or with whatever you have in it for that matter?
Thanks!
With the G4560 and two 4GB DIMMs as advertised + a 11 year old Intel X25 SSD I had lying around:
  • Idle (CPU <= 1%): 17.6 watts
  • Fresh install Windows Updates (CPU = 25-30%): 30 watts
  • Prime95 (4 threads, CPU = 100%): 43 watts
  • Transcoding: 35 watts (QuickSync, CPU = ~35%) to 42 watts (x256, CPU = 95%), depending on source and transcode parameters
It was able to hand transcoding FHD h.264 to QuickSync h.265 at ~1.85x, but I wouldn't plan on transcoding 4k HDR10 in real time, or even watching in slow motion. But at a quarter of the power of my e3-1220 v2 at idle, my payback for my new media server is under a year just idling.

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
Listed again but doubled the price.

They can keep it.
That one was around last week too. They're listed as "New" however, not that it justifies that price.

Even if they dropped the price to $45, it's way overpriced for what it's really worth without the (not-)embedded processor, memory, and heat sink.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
It's late for this deal, but just in case they find more stock or someone else stumbles on the thread for the board and CPU...
They've gotten extra stock on this at least twice that I've noticed. I got done testing mine over the weekend. Similar numbers to yours:

Tested in: Supermicro 813M Chassis w/600W Gold PSU, 3x40mm chassis fans, and two SSD (one NVMe in a PCIe carrier, and one 2.5" that I didn't know was in a drive tray till I was done). Ubuntu Mate 20.04 installed to the NVMe drive.

• Idle: ~16-17w.
  • Stress test: ~38-39w (using Stress-NG w/4 threads at 100%). Temp stayed steady at 63 degrees and the fan noise, while audible, was still not obnoxious, and no where near 100%.
@cdru : Dumb question, but did you verify that yours had a Pentium G4560? Mine came with a G4600, which I didn't even notice till I pulled the heatsink to replace the thermal paste (idle temps were pretty high at first and new paste fixed it). The CPU performance is negligible between the two, but the HD630 graphics on the G4600 are an almost 100% performance improvement over the HD610 in the G4560.

Listed again but doubled the price.

They can keep it.
The seller's pricing defies understanding sometimes. They've had these bare boards up once before. And while the link is to a new board, they also had used bare boards up for $89 (plus shipping) at the same time they were selling the same used boards but with added CPU, RAM and Heat Sink for only $59 (and taking $45 BO). They were doing the same with Chassis last month: They had Supermicro 813M bare with nothing inside at $89, while the listing I bought from was was $37 ($28 BO accepted) and included fans/fan tray, cables, and a 600w Gold PSU.

I've learned to really sort thorough the listings and then go low on the offer on top of whatever price they listed.

Even if they dropped the price to $45, it's way overpriced for what it's really worth without the (not-)embedded processor, memory, and heat sink.
Yeah, I got this more as a "stop gap". I had two older (Sandy Bridge E3-1220L) systems start getting flaky and rather than get another older board/CPU , I decided to make a "huge leap forward" to 6th Gen Core for about the same price ;) . Once prices aren't so nuts, I can pull the CPU for use in a motherboard with IPMI that takes ECC, and can put the RAM in one of the family's desktops.

Reactions: T_Minus and Fritz

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
@cdru : Dumb question, but did you verify that yours had a Pentium G4560? Mine came with a G4600, which I didn't even notice till I pulled the heatsink to replace the thermal paste (idle temps were pretty high at first and new paste fixed it). The CPU performance is negligible between the two, but the HD630 graphics on the G4600 are an almost 100% performance improvement over the HD610 in the G4560.
I bought two. One I know has the G4560 with the HD610. Now you're going to make me rush home only to get my hopes up.

• Haha
Reactions: Markess