Supermicro X11SSH-CTF memory issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tobbej

Aug 20, 2021
Hi, i need some help because i've run into a memory related problem and i can't figure out why it is not working.
With above mainboard i bought two 8g memory sticks, Kingston KSM26ES8/8HD and this worked just fine.

Then i realized i needed some more memory so i bought two sticks of Kingston KSM26ES8/16ME
When picking them i tried to make sure it was same speed, CL and so on.
The plan was to have 2*8+2*16 for a total of 48gb.

I plugged in the two 16 sticks and got problems, it boots but then locks up and if i look at the built in log (from bios setup), mainboard complains about multibit ecc errors (lots of complaints).
So i figured lets try with just the two new 16gb sticks, same problem, multibit ecc error and memtest86+ locks up at 70% of first test.
No combination of the 16 sticks in the computer works alone or in combination with the other two.

Any idea why? advice? pointers?

Links to the kingston datasheets for the two types of memories:

I guess i should try to return the two sticks of 16gb but i would like to know why it didn't work so i don't make the same mistake (whatever it is) again.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Hi, i need some help because i've run into a memory related problem and i can't figure out why it is not working.
With above mainboard i bought two 8g memory sticks, Kingston KSM26ES8/8HD and this worked just fine.

Then i realized i needed some more memory so i bought two sticks of Kingston KSM26ES8/16ME
When picking them i tried to make sure it was same speed, CL and so on.
The plan was to have 2*8+2*16 for a total of 48gb.

I plugged in the two 16 sticks and got problems, it boots but then locks up and if i look at the built in log (from bios setup), mainboard complains about multibit ecc errors (lots of complaints).
So i figured lets try with just the two new 16gb sticks, same problem, multibit ecc error and memtest86+ locks up at 70% of first test.
No combination of the 16 sticks in the computer works alone or in combination with the other two.

Any idea why? advice? pointers?

Links to the kingston datasheets for the two types of memories:

I guess i should try to return the two sticks of 16gb but i would like to know why it didn't work so i don't make the same mistake (whatever it is) again.
It sounds like one or both of the 16GB sticks are bad, and need to be returned.

tobbej

Aug 20, 2021
Yes, that's what i suspect as well.
The two sticks of 16gb was bought via amazon.
But just wanted to be sure the specs on them was good, mainboard manual says:
" The X11SSH-CTF/TF supports up to 64 GB of DDR4 ECC UDIMM 2400MHz memory in four DIMM slots"

And running memory at a little lower speed i think should be ok, all 4 sticks is 2666MHz.
i could not find any with 2400MHZ when i was looking around for memory.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You could try FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Had similar issues while upgrading from 16 to 64 G too (especially on a X11SSL), also with 2666 modules - these were a pain in the rear on the X11 series (even original SM ones).

I mixed and matched over 4 boards, RMA'ed 2 of the modules and got a working combination in the end...

So yes in theory 2666 modules work on the X11 boards, sometimes they do, sometimes they dont, its not clear why (had a case with SM, no clear explanation either).

tobbej

Aug 20, 2021
will try those jumpers, did some googling yesterday and found some pointers to those with a raid controller card having to tape over the two pciexpress pins for i2c to get the memory working.

my mainboard got the raid controller built in so no possibility of doing that but there is those two jumpers.
and i have reflashed the firmware from IR to IT mode.

mainboard boots, and i can get in to bios and i can also get begin booting but obviously it gets stuck quite early in boot due to memory errors.
odd thing was, it did boot a bit longer on the very first time i had the new memory plugged in.

tobbej

Aug 20, 2021
Looking at kingston memory tool, i see they are actually recommending a different type of memory (should have looked at it earlier)
They recommend: KSM26ED8/16HD and then one i got is KSM26ES8/16ME
specs:

This one is dual rank, can someone enlighten me what the difference is between single and dual rank? and why it might matter?
Can you have two sticks of 8gb with single rank and 2 sticks with dual rank? if not i need to buy 4 sticks of 16 instead of just 2.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Not up to date any more, but principle still applies

Usually its not recommended to mix and match ranks - it can work but its not tested.
Are your current (old) modules single rank or dual?

Longer boot time on the first boot might be due to memory training, recreating this might be achived in powering off the box for a while (couple of mins) (including removing power).

tobbej

Aug 20, 2021
The two 8gb modules i got is single rank.
I guess i will buy a set of two 16gb modules KSM26ED8/16HD and see if they work (+return the two non working modules 16gb single rank) hopefully they work well with my two existing 8gb sticks, if not then i have to buy two more matching 16gb sticks.

If i look at the memory search on kingston:

It lists two modules, one 8gb single rank module (the same i got) and for 16gb they list the dual rank module

tobbej

Aug 20, 2021
16gb dual rank memory sticks worked out just fine.
16gb single rank does not work at all, multibit ecc errors and memtest86+ getting stuck.

My guess is that since 16gb is max of what can be used (4 slots for a total of 64gb ram) perhaps there is a hardware limitation or similar with the mainboard (possibly the cpu too or combination of both).
As i understand it, dual rank is two banks of memory that where the the computer selects using a couple of chip select lines, so if you compare 16gb dual vs 16gb single then 16gb single should need more adress lines instead, and maybe it can't do that.
But this is just speculation and guesses from my side.

Also the mainboard manual doesn't say anything related to single vs dual rank and its compatibility

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
16gb dual rank memory sticks worked out just fine.
16gb single rank does not work at all, multibit ecc errors and memtest86+ getting stuck.
what CPU ?
many old processors do not support 16GB per Rank (lacks address lines)
2Rx8 16GB is OK - 1Rx8 16GB not.
i.e. 64GB dual ranked RDIMM works not with 1st gen scalable(skylake) but works with 2nd Gen(cascade lake)

tobbej

Aug 20, 2021
Xeon E3 and yes most likely processor doesn't have enough adress lines for single rank 16gb