Supermicro X11SPM-F-O lan not working after a few bios update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

masterdeejay

Feb 7, 2020
I have an Supermicro X11SPM-F-O motherboard. After i uploaded a modded bios the onboard lan stopped working, all the lan leds are always on (not blinking) even in stand by or turned off. Windows recognizing one x722 device but not as a network connection, the bmc is working in the dedicated lan so i can access the bmc web interface.

The modded bios was a new 3.0+(dont remember the ver) bios that i injected microcodes for an ES cpu (Xeon 6138 ES QL1L). I think that the bios editor (aptio mmtool is for x99 chinese bioses that is used before) is somehow overwrited the network firmware (i deleted the cascade lake microcodes and injected the old skylake ES microcodes).
So i used an usb3 lan because the new bios supports some overclocking for the ram-s (2133 to 2933).

But now i bought a newer Xeon Silver 4215R (was very cheap but damaged corner, but this build is for gaming now i dont need 20 cores) that not needs hacked bios, so i simply uploaded the latest official unmodded bios (3.6) and somehow the onboard network card still not working. (I also updated the bmc firmware.) All the lan leds are always on as with the hacked bios and ES CPU. (cmos clear and complete power disconnection for a day didnt help)

I think the newest bios not contain or somehow cant update the network card bios that i fcked up with the modded bios. Or the modded bios permanently damaged the onboard lan?
How can i only update the onboard lan firmware?
It is Intel® X722 + Marvell 88E1512
X11SPM-F | Motherboards | Products | Supermicro

With the latest intel official 700 series update tool: (with the older versions same error)
lan.jpg

It is in the device manager but only one "Intel x722 #4".

1.jpg
2.jpg
30.jpg
(the tesla card has 3d printed fan adapter and two high pressure 8cm fan inside, one 12cm on the top of the card, one 12cm back of the card and an additional strut that is not on the picture, it is modded/overclocked for gaming now)
I dont have space for an additional LAN card, but i dont want to use the usb3 lan, that is why i want to revive the onboard lan ports.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
my recommendation is to do the fowlling:
order a BIOS chip and flash with 3.6 or buy a chip with 3.6 already flashed, ther are some seller providing this.
cut the pins 1 to4 of the BIOS chip with a thin knife, then bent the chip up/down until it drops.
clean the solder points and solder the new chip on the PCB, better solder a SOIC socket for future catastrophies.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hello

Resetting the EEprom for Supermicro LAN interfaces is not straightforward.

Some time ago I updated a bios on a X11SAT-F, this reset the LAN 1 Mac address to 88.88.88.88.87.88.

This link describes the problem.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-mac-88-88-88-88-87-88.22964/

I searched around for the tools necessary to re-programme the Nic. There are Intel tools called EEupdate, but getting the correct tool and firmware combination is quite a task.

For some background and advice, you might want to see
Supermicro NICs gone after BIOS update

Do first of all try a bios update, followed by a AC Power off, Cmos Battery Out, Set Bios to Optimized/Fail Safe Defaults.

For some deeper background, I found this useful.
Unbricking an Intel Pro/1000 (e1000) network interface - ixs' Vodkamelone

After contacting SM Support_Europe (Who continue to provide Outstanding Support). I received this toolset, it contains 3 Batch files, that need to be run sequentially - with power-off at each stage.

They are board specific, so you will need to contact SM Support for the correct tools for your motherboard.

1661945952576.png

I hope this helps and good luck.

RedX1

masterdeejay

Feb 7, 2020
Hello

Resetting the EEprom for Supermicro LAN interfaces is not straightforward.

Some time ago I updated a bios on a X11SAT-F, this reset the LAN 1 Mac address to 88.88.88.88.87.88.

This link describes the problem.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-mac-88-88-88-88-87-88.22964/

I searched around for the tools necessary to re-programme the Nic. There are Intel tools called EEupdate, but getting the correct tool and firmware combination is quite a task.

For some background and advice, you might want to see
Supermicro NICs gone after BIOS update

Do first of all try a bios update, followed by a AC Power off, Cmos Battery Out, Set Bios to Optimized/Fail Safe Defaults.

For some deeper background, I found this useful.
Unbricking an Intel Pro/1000 (e1000) network interface - ixs' Vodkamelone

After contacting SM Support_Europe (Who continue to provide Outstanding Support). I received this toolset, it contains 3 Batch files, that need to be run sequentially - with power-off at each stage.

They are board specific, so you will need to contact SM Support for the correct tools for your motherboard.

View attachment 24262

I hope this helps and good luck.

RedX1
Thanks! I try it!
I wrote to the support for the tools!

masterdeejay

Feb 7, 2020
The supermicro support answered my email, it was very fast. They gave me the tools for the firmware update. I try it!suprm.JPG

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hello

Supermicro Support in Europe provide fantastic service and support.

You will need to note the LAN Mac address from the stickers on the motherboard.

Follow the instructions and ask Support if you get stuck.

I hope all goes well for you.

REDX1

AshiShah

May 6, 2023
So I have a very similar issue but with a X10SRM-TF board and I tried everything and it won't work. I did get the firmware files from Supermicro, booted in DOS but when I run it it does not see the LAN card :( What else can I try?

These 2 LAN were working before I did my BIOS update but now they're dead :(

LAN.jpg