Supermicro X11SPH-nCTF ATX Storage Motherboard Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JDM

Jun 25, 2016
The exact CPU/Mobo combo I have on order, the most convenient of timing for this review. Looking forward to delivery even more!

Reactions: gigatexal

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Where the best place to order one? What is everyone build costing them? Also what case since it got ton of HDD connection?

JDM

Jun 25, 2016
Where the best place to order one? What is everyone build costing them? Also what case since it got ton of HDD connection?
I like wiredzone for parts, though they didn't have the mobo on the site yet (they have good pricing on the CPUs though, $707 was the lowest I found for the 4114). The case I'm using is a Supermicro 2U 24- 2.5" bay chassis. Room for plenty of drives and offers the slots for PCIe NVME.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Under low power with 4114 is really great, idle not not so much so...
anybody have power figures for x10srh with or without a 10g card and say an e5-2640v4 , that's probably a fair comparison right ?

I may be able to answer my own question in a few weeks but would love to know before purchase.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
1x 4GB 2133 DIMM E5 V3 6 core is ~36 or 38W from the chart here HPE ProLiant DL60 Gen9 Review: A Look into a 1U Cost Optimized Server

If I'm filling memory channels on E5 I need 4 DIMMs. New Xeon's need 6 right? 6x 16@ 2400 are gonna use more power than 1x4GB @ 2133

If I'm starting with 37 (midpoint of my estimate from the chart). Then add 5 higher capacity DIMMs. Higher core and clock CPUs. Then link up 2x 10G ports. Then add a LSI 3008 SAS controller. I'm also seeing the test config it's using a satadom + sata ssd so there's another SSD. I can see where another 30w+ is coming from easily.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
6 x ddr4 is for best performance, if you only need 64gb just use 2 x 32gb.
In my experience the new ddr4 memory idles with very very little consumption at all. So 1 or 6 dimms idle in only a couple of watts, under load it's a couple of watts per dimm but if your system is busy that's ok.

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
I've purchased this board recently and can't seem to get the first NIC to work for some strange reason, while the second on-board 10GBase-T port works fine. Both NICs are listed in the bios, but no matter how often I changed the ethernet cable, used different switch ports and even switches, tried to force speeds / disable autonegotiation and what not, it seems dead ("not connected"). The NIC is recognised by the OS, too, but simply won't get a connection. Any ideas or is it just DOA?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I really liked this board (the SFP+) version and recommended it to a friend. For me I went with the X11SPL-F version for the versatility it offered.

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
I really liked this board (the SFP+) version and recommended it to a friend. For me I went with the X11SPL-F version for the versatility it offered.
I just setup two of the X11SPH-nCTPF to go with the Xeon Silver 4110s I acquired because of this thread and so far really like them.

I'm sure everyone reads the manual and specs unlike me, but I did run into an issue where I initially tried sticking in a 4Rx4 32GB dimm which did not work. I might not be the first one to ignore the manual and specs because Supermicro has pulled out and highlighted the memory compatibility pages for those of us that are super dense.

Reactions: K D

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
FYI:
Thanks to the great Supermicro support who provided me with a NIC eeprom firmware, I successfully re-flashed the NICs again and finally got both NICs working. Excellent support, no doubt, the board is worth every penny just because of that.

Just wanted to share that info should anyone face similar problems.

bitrot

Aug 7, 2017
I might not be the first one to ignore the manual and specs because Supermicro has pulled out and highlighted the memory compatibility pages for those of us that are super dense.
Before I made the purchase, I checked the Supermicro website for RAM compatibility. They've basically only listed Samsung DDR 2666 RAM so far:

Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Support | Resources

I bought two 32GB sticks (M393A4K40BB2-CTD) for now because prices are ridiculous atm (around 300 Euros a piece), will add more of those once DDR4 prices come down a bit (hopefully).

Donald Thomas

Jan 8, 2018
FYI:
Thanks to the great Supermicro support who provided me with a NIC eeprom firmware, I successfully re-flashed the NICs again and finally got both NICs working. Excellent support, no doubt, the board is worth every penny just because of that.

Just wanted to share that info should anyone face similar problems.
Hi bitrot, I have this same issue, how did you get the firmware eprom for the NIC?