Supermicro X11SDV external NVME not detected

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AndroidCat

Mar 3, 2015
I recently purchased the Supermicro 1U server SYS-5019D-FN8TP with X11SDV-4C-TP8F motherboard inside.
**BIOS is v1.5 (latest)
**JNS1 jumper is moved to position 2-3 to enable NVME-mode for mini-SAS connectors.

I've been trying to connect and use Intel P4510 SSD NVME drive using mini-SAS to U2 cable to no-avail.
Tried 2 different cables and both mini-SAS connectors.

Also used PCI-E adapter in both available PCI slots. The disk is never detected.

All the above has been done under Ubuntu21 (lspci and lshw attached), also ESXi 6.7u3 and ESXi7.03.

While on-board M2 NVME (Samsung 980PRO) and SATA boot drive are detected, the Intel P4510 is nowhere to be found.
PCI devices under ESXi do not contain anything familiar to be passed-through.

Unfortunately I don't have another SSD at the moment to rule out the disk itself.

Tried multiple BIOS settings with no difference. Also tried to remove M2 and SATA drive and boot the bare system - no Intel detected.

Is there any trick with this board, any particular setting or PCI-e slot I should be using? Or is my drive DOA?

Thank you for any hints.

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
looks to me the drive is bad. the MINI-SAS are connected to the chipset(flexible I/O) not cpu, it is a bit tricky.
but the PCIe slots should work. if the drive is blank(not formatted) you see see no volume, only the hardware.