Supermicro X11SCL-IF and CPU features

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mickeyil

Dec 28, 2020
Hi,

There was a motherboard that was reviewed here a few months ago [1]: Supermicro X11SCL-IF. I looked at the comments and there are a few points that are unclear to me.

1. In the specs it says support is up to 95W, 6 cores. Patrick's answer in this regard was "It worked on our board, but it is not a supported configuration". What could be the reason for supporting 6 but not 8 cores? chipset limitation?
I have this motherboard with a Xeon E-2288G CPU on its way to me. Is there any custom firmware or steps to take to enable this kind of setup? Any stability issues seen with an 8 core CPU?

2. Another comment referred to the internal GPU. The only video connection this board has is a VGA one, attached to the IPMI chip. Can this GPU be seen by the OS (Linux) so it can be used for accelerations with encoding/decoding (Quick Sync Video)?

Would love to hear any related experience with this board :)

[1]: https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-x11scl-if-mitx-server-motherboard-review/3/

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Addressing your 2nd point:

The X11SCL-iF has the C242 chipset, and it cannot passthrough the iGPU for encoding/transcoding. You would need a C246 chipset to use ECC RAM and QuickSync.

Additional note: Even with the C246 chipset, you can’t use the iKVM from the BMC and QuickSync at the same time. Enabling i915 will cause the iKVM session to end.