SuperMicro X11SCH-F - Bifurcation Support

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Technically all LGA 1155/1150/1151 Processors should be able to do 8x/8x and 8x/4x/4x. Note that it falls under "Chipset controlled feature" (Usually only supported by Z series and highest end C series). Yet is rare to see manual bifurcation exposed, only in mITX Motherboards like these you see those options. And I think that BIOS modding to add them is hard or impossible because these Firmwares don't even include code to toggle bifurcation, whereas in HEDT/Xeon E5 platform they usually have them, hidden, but that makes modding easy because you just simply have to remove the hidden flag.

ky56

Jan 5, 2021
Technically all LGA 1155/1150/1151 Processors should be able to do 8x/8x and 8x/4x/4x. Note that it falls under "Chipset controlled feature" (Usually only supported by Z series and highest end C series). Yet is rare to see manual bifurcation exposed, only in mITX Motherboards like these you see those options. And I think that BIOS modding to add them is hard or impossible because these Firmwares don't even include code to toggle bifurcation, whereas in HEDT/Xeon E5 platform they usually have them, hidden, but that makes modding easy because you just simply have to remove the hidden flag.
You are correct but the CPU configuration pins provide another way to do this.

I haven't tried this yet but it looks promising. In summary use the intel platform datasheet to identify which pins configure hardware bifurcation and short them to ground using silver paint directly on the CPU PCB. Aside from the silver paint this isn't a dodgy mod. It's just a feature that could have been configured by dip switch that's been left out by all* motherboard designers. I personally would check to see if the pin on the socket has been left floating before attempting this.

Say NO to the Paywall of PCI-E Bifurcation

I'm not the author, I just found this rather exciting news for my existing server.