Supermicro X11SCA-F - iGPU and IPMI simultaneously

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RockNLol

May 12, 2023
Hi!
My homeserver has a Supermicro X11SCA-F motherboard and an Intel Xeon E-2246G CPU. I want to use the iGPU for hardware transcoding in my plex LXC container hosted by the Proxmox hypervisor. For this the /dev/dri/renderD128 device has to be passed through.

/dev/dri/renderD128 unfortunately only shows up (and is working perfectly with plex btw.), if I set the graphics output in the BIOS from AUTO to IGFX, which seems to disable IPMI video output. I do not need video output from the iGPU, only the transcoding capabilities.

Is there a way to get video output on IPMI as well as /dev/dri/renderD128 to show up for passthrough?

best regards
RockNLol

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Hi!
My homeserver has a Supermicro X11SCA-F motherboard and an Intel Xeon E-2246G CPU. I want to use the iGPU for hardware transcoding in my plex LXC container hosted by the Proxmox hypervisor. For this the /dev/dri/renderD128 device has to be passed through.

/dev/dri/renderD128 unfortunately only shows up (and is working perfectly with plex btw.), if I set the graphics output in the BIOS from AUTO to IGFX, which seems to disable IPMI video output. I do not need video output from the iGPU, only the transcoding capabilities.

Is there a way to get video output on IPMI as well as /dev/dri/renderD128 to show up for passthrough?

best regards
RockNLol
AFAIK X11SCH-F and 4 port variant are the only ones known to work allowing igpu pass through while using IPMI as the console.

you can see here at STH

which will also lead you here to the unraid forums

in the unraid forums someone reports a conversation with supermicro tech support.

Reactions: RockNLol

RockNLol

May 12, 2023
Ohh thats unfortunate. Weirdly enough, it worked, when I used a full VM for plex and passed through the whole iGPU.

Reactions: RolloZ170

RockNLol

May 12, 2023
After some more testing I found a way to get video over IPMI as well as hardware transcoding capabilities!
A comment on the linked unraid thread about newer X12 motherboards lead me to the solution:

I set the primary display to "PCI" instead of "IGFX", which allegedly forces video on IPMI. Even though it is set to PCI, I can set "Internal Graphics" to "Enabled" which enables the iGPU.
This way I got video in IPMI while keeping access to /dev/dri/renderD128. Only HDMI output is not available now, but I don't care about that.

These are my BIOS settings:
iKVM_capture.jpg

Reactions: itronin