Supermicro X11SBA-LN4F Review – Sweet!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It is an interesting board and of course it depends on the use case, but I would still chose the C2558 board if I were to build a firewall, NAS or server.

Arguably better NICs (i354 is roughly equivalent to the i350 minus SR-IOV as far as I remember), support for loads more (ECC) RAM, quick assist crypto, more SATA ports, more PCIe lanes, for only around 10% more (european price, using sona.de as reference) and a bit of extra power consumption would be worth it to me.

Prices obviously suck here in europe for the x11sba-ln4f, but I think it would be better if they had left the IPMI off the board, making it cheaper and further improve upon the power consumption of the board and make it distinguish itself better from the c2558 board.

That all said, Intel needs to release the replacement for Avoton - "Denverton" and the same for Rangeley, a C2558/C2550-like board with even better power consumption characteristics would be pretty awesome.

On another note, there's a rumour going around that AMD will finally release the opteron 1100, that will be great, Intel needs some competition.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Yes in the review (and a forum post) I tried a 8GB SODIMM and it did not work.
I saw, I was saying there's no reason to test because the whole CPU series is limited to 8G in hardware. Intel has to differentiate the parts somehow...

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I saw, I was saying there's no reason to test because the whole CPU series is limited to 8G in hardware. Intel has to differentiate the parts somehow...
Intel's specs also claimed (and still claim) that the J1900 only supports 8gb too - but I have first hand experience showing it supports 16gb. Add to that Intel's habit in the older Atom processors of working with twice the ram noted in their docs (see @Patrick reply above). I think it was well worth the attempt.