SuperMicro X11 and Xeon v6

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I'd consider the CPU if you want to sell it, not sure if you can reutrn for full amount or not.
I'm looken to snag a 1270 v6 sometime in next few weeks so 75 would do :D
Restocking fee for the CPU was too heavy and that's the reason I kept it. Not decided what to do with it yet. Will PM you by Monday if I decide to sell.

Thanks.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Just a quick fyi, I am currently building a test workstation using a Supermicro X11SAT board (the no-IPMI version) and I am successfully using 4x 16 GB Kingston KVR24E17D8/16MA ECC UDIMMs. CPU so far is a Celeron G3900, because the E3 1275 V6 was not available a few weeks ago (buying one soon) and because the board came with BIOS 1.0a whereas Kaby Lake needs 2.0+. Upgraded to 2.0a using this CPU, worked. RAM ist driven nicely at 2133 with CAS 15 which is the maximum possible on that 30 buck cpu.

AFAIK there are only two chip manufacturers of such unbuffered ECC memory left, SK Hynix and Samsung, both south korean. It would be very curious if Supermicro did not support all those memory chips, no matter if the modules were made by Kingston, Corsair or whoever.

Also of note, if you install Linux and ethernet does not show up, check for EEPROM corruption on the Intel ethernet chips. Fixable using bootutil on the FreeDOS disk you used to flash upgrade the board. Windows on the other hand seems to just ignore it and bring up the device.

Reactions: blood and Evan

moxford

Apr 24, 2017
@Aluminum That is a good catch. I should learn to decode the product codes... But in this case, the board did not POST with a E3-1245V5 and SuperMicro MEM-DR416L-SL02-ER24 which is on the QVL and purchased directly from SuperMicro eStore. I'm certain that the board was faulty. I actually ended up just returning the board and keeping the cpu. Looking to get a different board as a replacement.
Just an observation ....

RAM: Supermicro 16GB DDR4 MEM-DR416L-SL02-ER24 Server Memory

"1.2V 1Rx4 ECC RDIMM " is registered RAM ... RDIMM.

Your motherboard (X11SSL-CF | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.) supports ...
  1. Up to 64GB Unbuffered ECC UDIMM DDR4 2400MHz; 4 DIMM slots
Not saying that the board was good, just observing in case your next board doesn't work either.

G'luck!

-mox

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Just an observation ....

Your motherboard (X11SSL-CF | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.) supports ...
Not saying that the board was good, just observing in case your next board doesn't work either.

G'luck!

-mox
Hope that's not the case. This was the RAM that was recommended by supermicro support as well as the estore shows this as supported.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Hope that's not the case. This was the RAM that was recommended by supermicro support as well as the estore shows this as supported.
That part is definitely RDIMM. RDIMM will definitely not work in that MB (requires ECC UDIMM). If SM Support recommended it then they made a mistake. If you ordered it from their online store they will surely RMA it w/out surcharge since you ordered based on their advice.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Just an observation ....

G'luck!

-mox
I had quoted the wrong part # here. Must have copied from the wrong window. Apologies for the confusion. The RAM I have is actually
MEM-DR416L-CV02-EU24
which is on the QVL.

Reactions: moxford

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Purchased an X11SSH-CTF from SuperBiiz after @T_Minus recommended them.
Installed 2 16GB M391A2K43BB1-CPB sticks from @Netwerkz101 and a E3-1245V5 CPU.
Connected the IPMI network cable, powered on.
Came back to my workstation and prepared a boot image with the latest firmware from SuperMicro. Mounted the image and flashed the latest BIOS and updated IPMI firmware. It is good to go. I just have to swap out the CPU with the E3-1275V6.

Thanks for everyone's input.

@PigLover Will test with the Mellanox card and post the results.