Supermicro X10SRM-TF embedded 2 X LANs not working after bios/ipmi update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AshiShah

May 6, 2023

Decided to do an IPMI and BIOS updates to the latest revisions. Everything went fine except my two mobo LAN's stoped working :(
I tried everything with help from Supermicro support.
- Reset CMOS and BIOS several times
- Pull the mobo outta of enclosure to ensure no bad contacts are happening
- Play with the JPL1 LAN jumper on/off
- Reset my BIOS settings to default and tried all kind of settings.
- Try to boot off the LAN/PXE via F12 but no lans are detected
- Downgrade the IPMI and BIOS to the same version before the upgrade
- Tried an external pic network card and works fine
- Last resort, tried to redo / reflash the LAN eeproms with special firmware and scripts from SuperMicro and I get "not supported adapters were located" - see attached pic.
- Those 2 LAN are the Intel 550, 10GB versions

I am desperate and outta of solutions. What am I missing here. How can both LAN ports be fired or corrupted after a simple BIOS update? Could it be a BIOS setting somewhere I am missing?

They won't take an RMA on this as is outta of warranty so I am really really desperate here

Attachments

oldpenguin

Apr 27, 2023
EU
If you're booting something with a Linux kernel, are they visible in the lspci output? I vaguely recall something similar (likely on a different machine), but if they show up, I'll ask around further.

AshiShah

May 6, 2023
Nope, I tried that as well, it does now show in lspci at all. Is like gone form the face of the earth man :)

oldpenguin

Apr 27, 2023
EU
Sorry to hear it - I'm guessing cheapest route is fitting a pcie nic in this case, if everything else works according to specs.

Had a quick chat exchange with the guy that had the similar thing I mentioned - for him, that happened on a X9DRE-TF+, but out of the blue, not after upgrades - there'd be times when both NICs would be available and working or times when after countless reboots they wouldn't show up. Also, according to him, when they worked they were bumping error counters high AF rendering them nearly useless. X540 vs X550 your case.

If they're fried, maybe dare the devil and bump up past the 10gbe with the occasion? :p

WanWizard

Jun 13, 2021
UK
flexcoders.co.uk
Does the BIOS itself see them? If so you should see them in the PCI settings, and should be able to select them for a PXE boot.

If not it is pointless checking in a running OS...

AshiShah

May 6, 2023
@WanWizard I don't see them in BIOS. Not exactly sure where to even look for them but I browsed every page and every setting in BIOS and I can't see them. I don't see them being initialized during the POST either so for sure they're missing in action here :( I can tell you that one the light on port is on and blinking when plugged in.

Last edited: