SuperMicro X10SRH-CLN4F heatsink

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zman100

Feb 16, 2016
Hi,
I just got a X10SRH-CLN4F and realized that a Desktop LG2011 V3 heatsink is not compatible with a server based one. Found the Supermicro Heatsink compatibility list but I have a couple of questions..

* I am installing this in a ATX case. Should I be getting a heatsink that is 4U or 2U tall?
* One of reviews say that the motherboard is ILM Narrow. For the 2U heatsink version the SNK-P0048AP4 says it supports Square and narrow ILMs. Does this mean the heatsink supports both?

Thanks

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
The X10SRH-CLN4F requires a narrow ILM cooler so your choices are a little more limited than the square ILM cooler.

You will have to check your case in terms of allowed height, as some coolers are taller than the others. There's a review over at Tom's Hardware that looks at Dynatron and Noctua narrow ILM coolers.

My personal preference is to use 4U coolers over 2U coolers if the space allows, as larger cooling areas typically more efficient in heat dissipation and allow larger fans that spin at lower speeds (hence reduced noise). I would deploy the Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4 (4U) over the SNK-P0048AP4 (2U) if space allows (a significant noise difference if that is a concern)
Both of the above Supermicro coolers are modular and come supplied with narrow and square brackets that are removed with 4 little screws.

IMHO, Supermicro engineering is top notch !

Reactions: Zman100

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I use the 4U ones. They are not silent but certainly not bad. It has been awhile since I have bought the SM 4U narrow ILM coolers so they may have gotten better.