SuperMicro X10SRH-CLN4F build from hell.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Swiz

Apr 5, 2017
I'm building a system to do FreeNAS and handle multiple other VM workloads. The X10SRH-CLN4F board was a perfect fit for what I wanted to do. It was also my first SuperMicro board. In the past, I always used Asus which worked great for me, but I've read so many great things on this forum that I decided to give SM a try. I paired it with an E5-2696 v4 CPU and thought this would be the build of my dreams.

After I finished the install, I could not get the system to POST or boot under any circumstances. Basically, the machine powers on and then constantly reboots without ever posting or making beep codes. SuperMicro claims the board is compatible with all Intel 2600 series V4 CPU as long as you are running 2.0a BIOS. I confirmed with their tech support that this board ships with the correct BIOS for V4 support. They also stated the E5-2696V4 CPU is specifically supported. After a week of troubleshooting, I got absolutely nowhere. Trying to reset CMOS did nothing and all the steps I tried with SM support failed to rectify the issue. Everything was stripped off of the board and I even tried starting it outside of the chassis to ensure there were no power shorts going on. At this point, SM recommended that I return or RMA the board. I chose to return it to Amazon and obtained a brand new one. While the board was being returned, I found that my E5-2696V4 CPU had a 150W TDP, which is not compatible with the board (max 145W TDP). This was my "a-ha!" moment. I returned the CPU and purchased a brand new E5-2699V4, which has similar specs, but also has a compatible 145W TDP. I was finally on the road to success...or so I thought.

A week later, I have a new board and a new (different) processor in my hands, which I confirmed with SM is specifically supported (just like the last one, lol). I hooked everything up again and also used a different PSU to be sure. What happens? The same exact problem. At this point I'm only attempting to use the Motherboard/CPU and the same reboot loop occurs. I contacted SM again and we went through the same troubleshooting steps, but nothing we did rectified the issue. They tested a similar config on their end, but their E5-2699V4 CPU was embedded. They did not have a non-embedded CPU to test, but said that it *should* work. At this point, I held my ground and stated there has to be a compatibility issue here somewhere, but they recommended I return or RMA the board AGAIN and this was all they could do.

Ok, I returned both the processor and the board as they asked. I received a brand new X10SRH-CLN4F along with a new E5-2699V4 processor. Third times the charm, right? I hooked it up to a third and different working PSU for good luck. I didn't even bother to install it in the chassis, because I knew what was waiting for me around the corner. What happens? THE SAME THING. The board reboot loops over and over. Resetting CMOS with the battery or the jumpers does nothing. I've built many server systems in the past, but I've never encountered one this troublesome. Usually you can isolate the problem down to a single component by stripping down the computer and going through each part one by one, changing RAM sticks etc. But, nothing I did fixed the problem. IPMI failed to respond and could not be accessed, which is not surprising. This is the first time I've ever had to accept defeat when it comes to system building.

I contacted SuperMicro and they are once again saying I should return or RMA the board, because they can't figure out what's wrong. That's not going to happen. I'm hoping you guys have a different suggestion, because my experience with SuperMicro has been terrible and I'm ready to go back to Asus at this point. I regret ever trying this brand. I did a google search and found others who were experiencing this exact same problem with SuperMicro boards, but usually a BIOS update or RMA fixes the issue. In other cases, there was no posted fix. Anyone have suggestions? Because I'm ready for a mental institution.

Motherboard: X10SRH-CLN4F
Processors tried: E5-2696V4 & E5-2699V4
RAM: MEM-DR432L-SL02-LR24 (M386A4K40BB0 - Recommended by SM)
PSU's tried:
Seasonic PRIME Titanium (850W - Their flagship PSU)
Seasonic Platinum SS-860XP2 (860W)
Antec CP-850 (850W)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looks like rain tomorrow evening.

Can you take a picture of the firmware / BIOS combo via the web interface? Can you get in when the main system is off?

Also, what heatsink/fan?

I have a board somewhere that I can try.

Swiz

Apr 5, 2017
Each board has behaved the same. There's no video and no response from the IPMI interface no matter which way I try to access it. The funny thing is that I know it's grabbing an IP based on my router logs, but it never responds to any access requests via Web, CLI, or SM applications. It just sits there like a zombie. There's no firewall between me and the IPMI, it's the same small LAN.

I can get the system to stay on if I pull the CMOS battery and unplug the PSU for 10 seconds, but it never POSTs or displays any video. The next time it boots, it goes back to looping. The IPMI doesn't respond whether the machine is on or off.

The heatsink/fan is a Noctua NH-U12DX i4/NF-F12 PWM w/narrow ILM brackets. It does not touch the RAM on either side.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Swiz - very interesting. I asked about the HSF because I have seen some LGA2011 boards behave strangely (missing DIMMs, errors, no boots like this) due to the cooling solutions.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
If you don't get the board directly from supermicro, you can't be sure that it's shipped with the latest bios.

How long do you wait after plugging the psu back in for ipmi?
On my old Intel board it could take up to 2minutes before ipmi was responding.

Reactions: Patrick

Swiz

Apr 5, 2017
@i386 that's exactly what I thought in the beginning, but they looked up the serial numbers of each board and said it shipped with 2.0a. I've left the machine on for 30 minutes and never got a response from IPMI on the previous two boards.

Today, I pulled the battery/PSU again and let it power on for 10 minutes. After waiting, I tried to access the IPMI based on the IP that my router showed and there was no response. As a last try, I shut the machine down, set the jumper for recovery, unplugged the battery and PSU for another 10 minutes and then fired the machine back up again. FINALLY IPMI has responded. This is the most progress I've made in weeks. I was able to get in and verify the board is in fact running 2.0a. I can open iKVM/HTML5 and Console Redirection, but there is still no video signal no matter what I try. I made an exception in the Java list just to be sure that nothing weird was going on.

Under the hardware list, it doesn't list my specific CPU. It just says "CPU1". I don't know if that's normal or not. I also noticed under RAM it only lists DIMMC1, which is not even inserted. I have one stick of RAM inserted into A1 and I've tried all four sticks at this point.

cliffr

Apr 2, 2017
If you're getting to web IPMI login that should show you BIOS and firmware versions

Swiz

Apr 5, 2017
Yes, I listed above that I was able to verify that it is running 2.0a. I'm still stuck in the same situation though.

Swiz

Apr 5, 2017
After I did another reset, I went back in and was able to expand CPU1. However, this is not the CPU or RAM I have installed on this board, so it appears the information is not accurate. Also my stick of RAM is installed in slot A1, not C1.

Attachments

Swiz

Apr 5, 2017
SuperMicro just responded and said these are probably default values since the system isn't working properly. They want me to send in the board and my CPU. Great...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You could try to temporarily get your hands on a cheapo cpu to verify all else is fine and compatible ? Where you at?

Reactions: Patrick

Swiz

Apr 5, 2017
I was able to get my hands on a different working board that supports the E5-2699V4 today and the behavior is the exact same. No POST or VGA signal at all. I am returning it to Amazon again. This will be my fourth CPU attempt. I find it hard to believe that all the previous ones were bad, so I guess I'll be extra cautious and try it in a different system first. Either I have really bad luck or something is frying these processors.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
BTW I had an E5-2698 V4 working on one of these boards earlier today using the 4U cooler.

Fried processors are very uncommon. I do think the idea of getting a E5-2603 V3 to test is a decent idea.

Reactions: T_Minus

Swiz

Apr 5, 2017
Just to close this out, I bought an E5-2697 V4 and installed that. The system fired up immediately with zero issues. Everything is working.

The E5-2696 V4 and E5-2699 V4 are the same CPU with different TDP (150W v 145W). Both have 22 cores. This CPU has 18 cores and a 145W TDP.

I don't know why three different 22 core processors from three different vendors would not work with this board, but I know at least one of them was bad when I tested it in a different system. I guess I was unlucky on this build, but now the world is finally moving forward. Thanks!

mouse

Mar 3, 2016
Running the same board with a 2650L v4 QS without issues. Mine went without the v4 support, so I've to buy one only for this!