Supermicro X10SRH-CF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Thorzeen

Jun 15, 2018
I Offered $100 and the reply offer was $132 we went back and forth a couple dollars that ended with seller declining. A few days later offered $115 and went back and forth again seller declining. The next day offered $125 seller accepted the first offer. MB arrived a couple of days ago very well packed for 125+tax. The CPU for it is otw. Now i need to find some memory.

Reactions: Markess

The_Moves

Mar 12, 2014
@Spartacus @zer0sum @Fritz , the answer to all my issues was a bad processor... I finally received my E5-2650L v3 today which allowed my motherboard to finally post. Immediatly when I powered up after seating the new CPU, I got 2 more lights on the motherboard and checking on the IPMI console I had the Supermicro initial boot splash screen.

Also, the BIOS on first boot showed up as 3.2 which means I was able to apply a BIOS update with a dead processor.

Another interesting thing of note is my LSI 3008 appears it is running in IT mode, says its a 3008-IT during boot, see attached photo.

Attachments

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
@Spartacus @zer0sum @Fritz , the answer to all my issues was a bad processor... I finally received my E5-2650L v3 today which allowed my motherboard to finally post. Immediatly when I powered up after seating the new CPU, I got 2 more lights on the motherboard and checking on the IPMI console I had the Supermicro initial boot splash screen.

Also, the BIOS on first boot showed up as 3.2 which means I was able to apply a BIOS update with a dead processor.

Another interesting thing of note is my LSI 3008 appears it is running in IT mode, says its a 3008-IT during boot, see attached photo.
Glad it was the processor and not the MB. I too recently received a dead processor from eBay. Fortunately I had another I could use for testing.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX

Thats a pretty outdated version (current is v17 iirc), I highly recommend updating to a newer IT mode version (assuming you're keeping that)

The_Moves

Mar 12, 2014
I intend to keep it in IT mode so I can do ZFS - am curious about UNRAID and maybe Proxmox. Currently it was intended for AIO ESXi setup.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I'm running everything in unraid currently as is the phony other spartacus @IamSpartacus :p.
Both of us can attest to its capabilities and flexibility for docker containers and/or VMs as well as storage expansion.
Really the only drawback to unraid is it's limited to the speed of individual drives, which isn't much of a problem unless you're doing something crazy and even then you have the cache if needed for that.

I'd recommend starting a new thread or shoot me a PM.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm running everything in unraid currently as is the phony other spartacus @IamSpartacus :p.
Both of us can attest to its capabilities and flexibility for docker containers and/or VMs as well as storage expansion.
Really the only drawback to unraid is it's limited to the speed of individual drives, which isn't much of a problem unless you're doing something crazy and even then you have the cache if needed for that.

I'd recommend starting a new thread or shoot me a PM.
Hmmm, join date of 1 year ago vs 4 years ago...who's the phony? :D

But as @Spartacus said, Unraid is a wonderful solution for an AIO home server. This coming from someone who has run some advanced VMware clusters at home.

Last edited:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Lol! I’m changing my id to ”ImTheRealSpartacus” to settle the dispute once for all here on the STH.
Kidding aside, both of you convinced me to jump on the unraid bandwagon for home AIO. I’ll probably keep the VMware separate for SAP developer instances, AI/ML stuff and for my learning and tinkering.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Lol! I’m changing my id to ”ImTheRealSpartacus” to settle the dispute once for all here on the STH.
Kidding aside, both of you convinced me to jump on the unraid bandwagon for home AIO. I’ll probably keep the VMware separate for SAP developer instances, AI/ML stuff and for my learning and tinkering.
If you have more than one Spartacus, are they Spartaci? Or are they Spartacuses? I suppose if you have a bunch of them, they aren't a herd, or a flock, they're a cluster, or maybe a node? A Cluster of Spartaci? A Node of Spartaci?

I've gotten my best Unraid advice from @IamSpartacus and @Spartacus both directly (they've been super helpful) and reading their own build and other advice posts. For me the Unraid Community forums are too "all over the spectrum" when it comes to advice/questions. I find the folks here think more the way I do, so I find the info here to be more concise and helpful.

To loop it back to the deal, I'm using my X10SRH-CF to build a home Unraid AIO system that merges my current underpowered "storage only" Unraid and a dual E5 v1 system running various VMs, plus adding some other stuff like Plex or Emby.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: nthu9280 and Fritz

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I believe its Spartans or Spartiates, a group of them is a murder or a massacre depending on the size of the group.:D
Being that Spartacus is from Thrace, I'd venture two of them would be considered Thracians. Of course I'd know this...for I am Spartacus :D.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled discussion.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I intend to keep it in IT mode so I can do ZFS - am curious about UNRAID and maybe Proxmox. Currently it was intended for AIO ESXi setup.
The other option is to go with whatever bare metail hypervisor floats your boat, and then just virtualise Unraid! :D
You can just pass through the usb controller, nvidia GPU, HBA's etc. and it works awesome!
And then you havethe flexibility of running any other VM's you like on the same box.

One caveat is that docker works on Unraid but the VM functionality doesn't work :(
Unless there's some hack to get it working I'm unaware of

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
The other option is to go with whatever bare metail hypervisor floats your boat, and then just virtualise Unraid! :D
You can just pass through the usb controller, nvidia GPU, HBA's etc. and it works awesome!
And then you havethe flexibility of running any other VM's you like on the same box.

One caveat is that docker works on Unraid but the VM functionality doesn't work :(
Unless there's some hack to get it working I'm unaware of
I think you just have to enable CPU passthrough to get nested virtualization to work (havent ever tried it though).

Being that Spartacus is from Thrace, I'd venture two of them would be considered Thracians. Of course I'd know this...for I am Spartacus :D.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled discussion.
The thracians fought along side the spartans (from Lacedaemon) which a group of were called Spartiates (though thats delving over into the Spartan/300 lore rather than Spartacus).
So, yo dawg I heard you like sparts so we put Spartacus in your Spartans to make them Spartiates :D.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I think you just have to enable CPU passthrough to get nested virtualization to work (havent ever tried it though).
I found you can't do PCI passthrough and also have Hardware Virtualization enabled so you can use Unraid VM Manager.
If I try and enable it I get an error - "Failed - PCI passthrough devices cannot be added when Nested Hardware-Assisted Virtualization is enabled."

I'd love to find a hack to get it working though it's not a big deal as you can just run as many VM's as you need on esxi anyways :D

1589208647824.png

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015

The thracians fought along side the spartans (from Lacedaemon) which a group of were called Spartiates (though thats delving over into the Spartan/300 lore rather than Spartacus).
So, yo dawg I heard you like sparts so we put Spartacus in your Spartans to make them Spartiates :D.
What? No love for the Sparkies?