Supermicro X10SRH-CF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I have two version of the SM board, one version is without the SAS controller, the other one is with SAS controller.

Both board with 128gb ram ( 8 x16 gb ) , E5-4667v3 ( 16cores) , 1 SSD.
Running Windows 10 for testing purpose
test board on the workbench without chassis fans , or hard disks

Without SAS , Windows 10 idle at 35-36w
With SAS controller, board idle at 46w
The E5-4667v3 runs on this board ?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
DDR4 ram uses less voltage so respectively should use less power.

That said it all depends on your core/thread/frequency needs, these chips can get as low as 50 TDP which is comparable or lower than some of the E3's.
The e5-2608L v3 for example is a 6c/12t @ 2.0ghz and is only 52w TDP: Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2608L v3 (15M Cache, 2.00 GHz) Product Specifications
Thanks. The higher core count over E3 would certainly be helpful for VMs, and the lower clock isn't much of an issue for what I'd be needing.

Without SAS , Windows 10 idle at 35-36w
With SAS controller, board idle at 46w
Thanks for the low end figures. I knew there would be extra power draw, but its not as bad as I'd thought it might be. I also thought the SAS controller would draw more based on its specs.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
DDR4 ram uses less voltage so respectively should use less power.

That said it all depends on your core/thread/frequency needs, these chips can get as low as 50 TDP which is comparable or lower than some of the E3's.
The e5-2608L v3 for example is a 6c/12t @ 2.0ghz and is only 52w TDP: Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2608L v3 (15M Cache, 2.00 GHz) Product Specifications

The mobo isn't likely to be a significant draw.

I have two of these systems with a 2690 v3 and a 2660 v3 cpu they pull an average of about 155w each (320w minus the switch from the wall).
L chips draw the same on idle as their non-L counterparts. Their draw is capped on the max for use cases with lower TDP chassis.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Yes. E5-46xx chips are compatible with both Single, Dual boards.
Yes to both.
about 6-8 months back, picked up few retail E5-4667v3 ( $80 each ) from ebay BO
I mention it in another thread, another forum member t-minus pickup few CPU also.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
L chips draw the same on idle as their non-L counterparts. Their draw is capped on the max for use cases with lower TDP chassis.
I was assuming that, like most Intel of that generation, E5s with common/similar base silicon will idle about the same regardless of TDP? So, guessing @Marsh 's E5-46xx numbers probably applied to mid-range 26xx as well?

If so, seems like the penalty over E3 is ~15 watts to have a lot more cores/lanes and power when I want them. I just know with my typical usage the system will be at idle the vast majority of the time, so for me a high TDP is less important when I figure heat/operating cost.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Take a E5-2650v3 to E5-2683v3, 64gb ram ( try to match e3-v3 32gb max ram ).
You could be seeing low 30w that includes 3-5w for ipmi .

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
And now that the DDR4 ECC Reg has come down to earth somewhat, i think it makes sense to go E5 route and have extra CPU power available if needed especially if the delta in the total cost is minimal.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I was assuming that, like most Intel of that generation, E5s with common/similar base silicon will idle about the same regardless of TDP? So, guessing @Marsh 's E5-46xx numbers probably applied to mid-range 26xx as well?

If so, seems like the penalty over E3 is ~15 watts to have a lot more cores/lanes and power when I want them. I just know with my typical usage the system will be at idle the vast majority of the time, so for me a high TDP is less important when I figure heat/operating cost.
Is my math right one this?

15 watts times 24 hours/day times 30 days, or 10,800 watt hours (10.8 KWH) in 30 days.
Which you can just multiply that by your cost per KWH.

For me that's 29.6 cents x 10.8 = $2.96 per month, which is basically nothing to get a better system :)

Reactions: Markess

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Your math is right.

There is a big BUT
Do not forget to you add up cost of power to run the SAS controller , 16 SAS drives , fans to cool all the power hungry SAS drives.

I am hesitant to run SAS drives and controller in my 24x7 all in one server.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
Your math is right.

There is a big BUT
Do not forget to you add up cost of power to run the SAS controller , 16 SAS drives , fans to cool all the power hungry SAS drives.

I don't think the SAS controller adds a lot, but you are right about SAS drives, and the fans, that can consume a LOT.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
There is a big BUT

Yes, that. For me, the cost of power isn't the issue. More important to me, Wattage=Heat. Heat=Fans and....well... heat.

Spouse approval is 100% the most important thing here....just ask her ;). To maintain that, I've got all my equipment in my home office (AKA the guest room) and nothing is more than 8 or so feet from my head. I'm in north/central California, and the office gets sun most of the day, so heat is always an issue.

I don't want fans screaming all day either, so most of the gear is only on when I'm using it. The exceptions are the switch and Unraid box, which I'm eyeing this board as an upgrade for. Those bring themselves up in the morning and shut themselves off at night. I've only got SATA drives in the Unraid server, and by its nature, Unraid spins data & parity drives down when not in use, so the only drives up all the time will be 4-6 cache SSDs caching writes and storing VMs.

Thanks to all for the info. Thanks to @jcl333 for posting the deal! Sorry to have drawn this off the topic of the deal itself. I'll stop now :D.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Hmm. I think I'm going to bite on this. They sent me a "special offer" at $179, but I'm thinking of waiting till Monday to respond. I don't know if Ocean Tech is connected to the other resellers in Eden Prairie (Core 4, Rhino and who knows else)? But I've always gotten "the stingy" staffer on the weekends for Core 4 and Rhino, who are unwilling to deal or compromise on counteroffers.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Hmm. I think I'm going to bite on this. They sent me a "special offer" at $179, but I'm thinking of waiting till Monday to respond. I don't know if Ocean Tech is connected to the other resellers in Eden Prairie (Core 4, Rhino and who knows else)? But I've always gotten "the stingy" staffer on the weekends for Core 4 and Rhino, who are unwilling to deal or compromise.
Thats definitely not the lowest they've gone, then again maybe they hit a threshold where they can be choosier on prices now.
I got mine Thursday for $125, should arrive mon/tues, we'll see if I got one from the bottom of the stack for that price though.